1987 Maxima altenator

I think its the altenator. I put a new battery in it, I ran it 62 miles with the gauge showing that the altenator was charging. Its normal voltage is 12-14 volts. Now when I start it or jump it, after it starts, the 'volts' gauge shows the altenator to be not charging. I rev the motor a little and the volts gauge then moves to like 16 volts, showing it to charge, but the minute I unhook the jumper cables, it dies. When I try to restart it, the battery is dead. Any Ideas? any help will be greatly appreciated!

thanks,

maxima

P.S. to those of you that helped pinpoint the problem of it not starting, it was the crank angle sensor.

Reply to
Maxima

replace the alternator with a factory OEM part this time

Reply to
NissTech

about how much would a factory OEM altenator cost me? Can I get one from autozone? I know Nissan will be expensive.

Thanks,

maxima

Reply to
Maxima

Call the dealer.

Sure if you enjoy replacing alternators, expect to replace it every 6-8 months at best.

Sure and the labor to replace them is worthless, plus being stranded, the batteries that get killed etc etc

Reply to
Steve T