1991 Maxima No Spark

My daughter's Maxima all of the sudden would not start one morning. Engine would turn over, but not ignite. I first started troubleshooting the spark, knowing the gas would be prevented from flowing unless spark was present. No spark was present. I found the engine control relay not energizing. If I removed the relay and jumpered across the terminals of the relay socket associated with the relay contacts, the engine would start fine.

Bad Engine Control Relay, right??? Wrong!!! New relay has the same problem.

If I removed the relay from the socket and 'jumpered' the coil terminals directly from the battery, the relay would actuate the contacts perfectly. Battery voltage was 11.9 VDC. I measured the incoming relay coil voltage as being 10.9VDC across the coil terminals of the relay socket.

Would a 1VDC voltage drop be enough to prevent the relay from actuating?? I didn't think so. Is there some thing else in this wiring circuit which could be acting as a reisistor and preventing the full battery voltage from getting to the relay coil?

Is it possibly a bad ground connection to the relay coil ground? I was thinking that the problem was here. I was going to run a test with the relay removed from the socket, tieing the powered side of the relay coil directly to the relay socket terminal and connect the ground side of the relay coil directly to the battery negative terminal to check if the relay socket coil ground terminal is the problem.

I can't get me hands onto a 'good' wiring diagram for this circuit and the Nissan dealers aren't providing any help, saying I need to bring the car in, to let 'their people' work on it. Hell, I can get the car to run by connecting a jumper to a toggle switch to the relay contact socket terminals, but don't feel comfortable with my daughter running it that way.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Frank

sounds like a bad ground from the ECM

Reply to
Brian

It looks like the relay coil ground is switched, instead of the +12VDC power, when the key is turned on. Is it possible that the ignition key contacts are adding resistance to this circuit?

Does the Engine Control Relay coil ground point originate at the ECM. If so, where is it located?? On the side of the distributor?

Frank

Did you end up finding the problem or fixing the car? I am having the EXACT same problem on my 91 Maxima.

Reply to
JimZ

same problem on my 91 Maxima.

Jim, I couldn't find the source of the relay coil ground nor did I find if the key switch was adding the high resistance to this circuit. Please let me know if you do, and where it was.

I ran two wires from the relay contacts connections into the car, and ended up installing a rocker switch under the dash. Turn on this switch then turn on the ignition key and the car starts like a champ. I just need to remember to turn off this switch when I turn off the key, otherwise I run a risk of draining the battery, since there is another device, maybe another relay or solenoid, which turns on when the switch is turned on.

This switch acts like a "kill switch". Good Luck..

Reply to
Frank