1992 Maxima stalling

I have a 1992 maxima with the DOHC timming chain engine. The car runs fine for a very lone time, but sometimes it just idles very low and stalls. Then it would start right up again, right away. I changed the Idle Air Control Valve. Expensive item. The car runs a little better, but still stalls. I did the self diagnostic and it says knock sensor problem. The engine does make this knocking/tapping noise from the timming chain tensioner. I checked the valve lifters, and they hold pressure. I tried a different cam sensor, coolant temp. sensor, TPS sensor, and ECU. But the problem still persist. The car seems to not burn gas, or inject too much gas because I can smell unburn gas from the tail pipe. The spark plugs have been changed not too long ago. Is there any other sensors that can cause this problem, or is it cause by the bad timming chain tensioner not giving tension to the chain?

Thanks in advance, Tin

Reply to
ka0t1c07

A few things:

  1. Visit
    Ticking is probably the VTCs3. Gas problem is probably bad injectors.4. also check your oxygen sensor, it can go bad without triggering the checkengine light or setting a code in the ecm.
Reply to
Brian

a very lone time, but sometimes it just idles very low and stalls. Then it would start right up again, right away. I changed the Idle Air Control Valve. Expensive item. The car runs a little better, but still stalls. I did the self diagnostic and it says knock sensor problem. The engine does make this knocking/tapping noise from the timming chain tensioner. I checked the valve lifters, and they hold pressure. I tried a different cam sensor, coolant temp. sensor, TPS sensor, and ECU. But the problem still persist. The car seems to not burn gas, or inject too much gas because I can smell unburn gas from the tail pipe. The spark plugs have been changed not too long ago. Is there any other sensors that can cause this problem, or is it cause by the bad timming chain tensioner not giving tension to the chain?

Just wondering, did you do the simple things first, like cleaning your throttle body and dumping a can of BG 44K into your tank? You can order a can of BG 44K on the web for around $15, or go to just about any car dealership's service department and pay through the nose (about $25). BTW, the cheap fuel system / injector cleaners sold at your local parts store don't even come close to BG 44K. The stuff is amazing.

Reply to
Dan

I cleaned the throtle body, but havent tried the BG44K.

The car runs fine most of the time, but sometimes, it just quit. then starts up again and runs fine for a long time, then quits again. Its like random stalling.

Reply to
ka0t1c07

What kind did you install?

Yes flakey O2 sensors could do this.

Nope that wouldn't do that. And I bet that noise is VCT's not the chain.

Reply to
stacey