1994 Maxima and need to replace the water pump

I have a 1994 Maxima and need to replace the water pump. How hard is it going to be to replace the timing belt and water pump? Any hints or help tips? I'm in the military and need to try and save some money by doing this myself.

Reply to
darringjj

Here's a guide found doing a Google search:

You should really buy a Haynes manual for detailed instructions, especialy on belt tension. Also think about replacing the belt tensioner if the engine has done 120k or more.

It's a reasonably complex task and took me about 5 hours, belt tensioner, water pump.

Loosening the crank pulley bolt can be difficult if you don't have an impact wrench. I put a socket on the bolt, then 18" - 24' extension, then ratchet. Built a support tower with bricks to support the extension next to the ratchet, then hit ratchet sharply with 2 x 4.

Sorry I can't give more detail but it's several years since I did the job.

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie

Is it a Maxima SE or GXE? from 1992 to 94 the Maxima had 2 engines. The Max SE's engine had a timing chain, which normally never needs service. All the other Maximas (1994 and below) had timing belts. If you have a Maxima GXE then while replacing the water pump you should go ahead and replace the timing belt as well.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Codifus,

Is it safe to say that 97 Max SE has a timing chain? I'm looking to change the water pump and don't want to touch chain if I don't need to. The Max has almost 160k on it.

-paul

Reply to
Paul Flansburg

Which is it, 94 or 97? All 97s have a chain. The water pump is in there with it and is driven by the chain. It is a major job to change that water pump. Not something you want to do unless absolutely necessary.

Reply to
E Meyer

Timing chain. All Maximas 1995 and newer have timing chains. The water pump job on the 95-99 Maxima is about $400-$500 job. The pump is buried inside the timing chain cover. One side of the pump is immersed in coolant and the other side is covered in oil. It is drivien by the timing chain. You have to be sure that the pump is bad since it's a pretty expensive job because it's so hard to reach.

You know it's bad because coolant will be dripping from around the belts area, just above the crank.

CD

Reply to
Codifus