1995 Maxima: Exhaust System Questions

I have a 1995 Maxima with approximately 140,000 miles and is in great overall condition. The only non-routine maintaince done on it was a new left & right front axel and a waterpump. My exhaust sytem is all original.

I recently looked under the car and noticed the following:

1) One of the lids (???) on the front muffler has come away from the muffler and is just riding on the exhaust pipe. It looks like it had been glued to the front muffler because the muffler has some sort of foam glue where the lid was. 2) sections of the metal/insulation that was on the exhaust system pipe have broken and fallen off. I assume that it was for heat and/or sound insulation. 3) A layer (???) of metal has corroded off of the rear muffler.

I had a Nissan dealership go over the car last week and they said my car was fine. I don't hear any exhaust problems so I assume for at least right now my exhaust system is ok.

My questions:

When I finally do need a new exhaust system, do I get it done at my Nissan dealership? If so, approximately how much will it cost? Will the replacent last as long as the original exhaust sysytem? In the past for my American cars, it seems I needed my exhaust systems replaced by my local muffler store (Midas, Monroe, etc.) every 2 years or so. Usually the muffler was fine but the exhaust pipes were corroded so I had to have the whole system replaced. If I get a Midas, Monroe (or similiar) exhaust system, should I expect to also have it replaced every 2 years? I've spoken to other 1995 Maxima owners, but none have had to replace their exhaust systems yet. Thanks in advance to any responses to my questions.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
<xtx99

veefer

Maybe the above refers to the heat shield for the catalytic converter.

As far as the rest of it, my 95 SE was one of the first ones off the boat, almost 12 years old (purchased May 94). I replaced the entire exhaust system once (Nissan parts), and it is still good.

I thought about trying a performance exhaust system, but I had a straight pipe fabricated to use in place of the muffler for awhile (I left the resonator and cat in place). That sounded sporty, but made no difference in high speed autocross times, and droned at certain speeds. So I used the stock system.

I can't comment on how something from a corner muffler shop would work performance wise. But pipes that are fabricated and welded on the fly would likely rust out quicker.

Reply to
David Efflandt

Check out

for their exhausts. They're allstainless steel with a polished muffler. The sound is deep and throatyand not tinny and will cost you just a bit more than the Midas partsbut you'll enjoy it a lot more.

Reply to
Abyss23