1995 Nissan Maxima GXE is it worth saving?

Not mechanically inclined - I have a bunch of problems with my 95 Maxima GXE and wondering if its worth paying to repair. Automatic Transmisison needs rebuild, 2 Axles need replacement, rear struts need replacement, brakes need replacement, wiper motor needs replacement. Rattle in the steering column. Body good, Engine good, regular oil changes. Over 100K miles. Any ballpark idea how much this ought to cost to fix? - Thanks R

Reply to
ralph12

Whether or not it's worth "saving" depends on how much money you have ;) and how much money you make (among other things).

Nothing you mention is what I would consider a problem worth discarding the car for. Brakes are a regular maintenance item. At 100k, replacing the struts (front) and shocks (rear) is probably abuot right, a burnt wiper motor is not a big deal and I assume you need to replace the axles because of torn boots (which itself is not a big deal), and common at your mileage.

So all in all - your problems (other than tranny failure) are par for the course. Not sure what you mean by steering column rattle - is it a "trim" type rattle, or a linkage rattle (worn bushing for example).

The tranny is the big one - and you can pick up a working used auto tranny from a junk yard and have it installed - I would trust that over a dubious rebuild.

As for cost- it all depends on where you go and what parts you use. Call some local mechanics and get some estimates.

Cheers, Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

A shop may charge:

  1. 2500$
  2. 400$
  3. 300$
  4. 500$
  5. 150$
  6. 600$
Reply to
Wiikinki

Correcting those issues is 'sound investment' if u keep the car for 'next five yrs'.

The engine condition: cam chain/guide, injector, coilpack, starter, alt, waterpump ... might dictate the economics. Typical change/repair needs arise after 150k.

Its costly to fall in love into good looks :) I guess youre better off with a younger [mile-age] max -or- older which has most of these things already addressed.

Reply to
Wiikinki

How long are you going to keep the car?

20K miles. No way. Bail out now.