1995 Nissan Maxima - rotational wheel noise

I have a rotational wheel noise problem. The sound is like a flat tire, except that that is not the actual problem. The problem began after I changed the brake pads. Can anyone please help me? Thank you in advance.

Reply to
alealoha

Did you reassemble everything properly with the little Y springs that keep the pads from dragging? Or maybe you bent a dust shield and it is touching a wheel.

Reply to
David Efflandt

Aloha David:

Thank you for your reply. I had AAA Diagnostic Clinic check the suspension and wheels for the noise, an independent garage work on my brakes, Nissan Dealership check on the noise (they wanted to redo the whole suspension), Sears Automotive Service Center changed the shocks and master cylinder, and last CostCo, where I got my last tire change, rotated the tires. However, the noise is still there.

Now, I will try to go back to the dealership and specifically ask them to check on the Y springs and dust shield. Thank you.

Aloha!

Alex

David Efflandt wrote:

Reply to
alealoha

I finally got the problem fixed; it was the wheel bearings.

A/

alealoha wrote:

Reply to
alealoha

Looks like the 4th gen Maximas are getting enough mileage as a group to begin having wheel bearing problems.

Out of curiosity, what was your mileage when the problem began?

JM

Reply to
JM

I had a right front wheel bearing (only that 1) go bad on my 95 SE years ago, but it was one of the first ones off the boat (purchased May 94). Maybe I had kissed a curb or something because eventually a bushing in a lower control arm started migrating. Later at around 100,000 mi I replaced all struts (boots had disintegrated) and front lower control arms.

The strange thing was I took the car into my local Nissan dealer 3 times to fix the wheel bearing, and even after I told them the wheel was loose, they did not even look at it, much less try to fix it. I had to go to an independent garage, and by then the bearing was eating into the axle. So it needed a hub assembly instead of just the bearing.

Reply to
David Efflandt

Aloha JM:

About 99,500 miles.

Aloha!

A/

JM wrote:

Reply to
alealoha

Mahalo nui loa,

JM

Reply to
JM

Reply to
Monte

Aloha Monte:

That sound, "whum whum whum" is very familiar. The sounds seems like it is emanating from within, or under the car. It also sounds like a slight flat tire.

It costs me about $467.00 to change the wheel bearings on the two front wheels. Most of the costs was allocated to the labor, and about $150.00 (+/-) to parts. Before I changed the wheel bearings, I had changed the brakes twice, and rotated the wheels. Now, the wheels just hum. Good luck on your repairs.

Aloha!

A/

M> I think I have the same thing now at 105K miles. Kind of a whum whum whum at

Reply to
alealoha