1995 Nissan Maxima - rotational wheel noise

Threaded View
I have a rotational wheel noise problem.  The sound is like a flat tire,
except that that is not the actual problem.  The problem began after I
changed the brake pads.  Can anyone please help me?  Thank you in advance.

Re: 1995 Nissan Maxima - rotational wheel noise

Did you reassemble everything properly with the little Y springs that keep
the pads from dragging?  Or maybe you bent a dust shield and it is
touching a wheel.

--
David Efflandt - All spam ignored  http://www.de-srv.com /

Re: 1995 Nissan Maxima - rotational wheel noise
Aloha David:

Thank you for your reply.  I had AAA Diagnostic Clinic check the
suspension and wheels for the noise, an independent garage work on my
brakes, Nissan Dealership check on the noise (they wanted to redo the
whole suspension), Sears Automotive Service Center changed the shocks
and master cylinder, and last CostCo, where I got my last tire change,
rotated the tires.  However, the noise is still there.

Now, I will try to go back to the dealership and specifically ask them
to check on the Y springs and dust shield.  Thank you.

Aloha!

Alex

Re: 1995 Nissan Maxima - rotational wheel noise
I finally got the problem fixed; it was the wheel bearings.

A/

Re: 1995 Nissan Maxima - rotational wheel noise

Looks like the 4th gen Maximas are getting enough mileage as a group
to begin having wheel bearing problems.

Out of curiosity, what was your mileage when the problem began?

JM

Re: 1995 Nissan Maxima - rotational wheel noise

I had a right front wheel bearing (only that 1) go bad on my 95 SE years
ago, but it was one of the first ones off the boat (purchased May 94).
Maybe I had kissed a curb or something because eventually a bushing in a
lower control arm started migrating.  Later at around 100,000 mi I
replaced all struts (boots had disintegrated) and front lower control
arms.

The strange thing was I took the car into my local Nissan dealer 3 times
to fix the wheel bearing, and even after I told them the wheel was loose,
they did not even look at it, much less try to fix it.  I had to go to an
independent garage, and by then the bearing was eating into the axle.  So
it needed a hub assembly instead of just the bearing.

--
David Efflandt - All spam ignored  http://www.de-srv.com /

Re: 1995 Nissan Maxima - rotational wheel noise
Aloha JM:

About 99,500 miles.

Aloha!

A/

Re: 1995 Nissan Maxima - rotational wheel noise

Mahalo nui loa,

JM

Re: 1995 Nissan Maxima - rotational wheel noise
I think I have the same thing now at 105K miles.  Kind of a whum whum whum at
slow speed, most pronounced at about 20 mph.  How much to fix it?  Looks like a
fairly big job here: http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/704

Re: 1995 Nissan Maxima - rotational wheel noise
Aloha Monte:

That sound, "whum whum whum" is very familiar.  The sounds seems like it
is emanating from within, or under the car.  It also sounds like a
slight flat tire.

It costs me about $467.00 to change the wheel bearings on the two front
wheels.  Most of the costs was allocated to the labor, and about $150.00
(+/-) to parts.  Before I changed the wheel bearings, I had changed the
brakes twice, and rotated the wheels. Now, the wheels just hum.  Good
luck on your repairs.

Aloha!

A/

Site Timeline