1996 Maxima Transmission question / possible problem.

Reply to snipped-for-privacy@brightcast.net

1996 Nissan Maxima

Automatic Transmission

Mileage unknown, will approximate at 130k.

When I first start the car, I shift it into reverse and back it out of the driveway. No Problem. When I put it in drive and gently step on the gas the car does not go anywhere at first. I need to shift in and out of drive and gently accelerate again to get it to move. Once on the road, it is 100% fine. It runs fine and shifts smoothly. About 30k miles ago I had the transmission fluid changed. I used the good synthetic stuff. I check the fluid regularly and the color and level are exactly where they need to be.

Is this an indication that my transmission is on its way out? Any preventative maintainance I can do to extend transmission life at this point?

The car has always been absoloutly babied, always been driven VERY gently.

Please let me know.

Reply to
Joel.Fortin

If you let engine/tranny warm up ½ hour before putting into Drive, same effect?

Could be clogged 'filter' and/or air bubbles in fluid as warm behaviour is different - or whatever. If after warmup all is ok, tranny cannot be all worn out yet. Check links from

A/T selftest also read the FSM A/T diag section. Visit two differentA/T repair shops, possibly stealership for evaluation & their price.

Reply to
wiikinki

I have a 93 GXE auto and this year of car has a problem with the linkage mechanism conneting the gear shifter to the gear box. Over time the plsstic bushings in the linkage mechanism wear. This results in you having to giggle the gear shifter to get it into gear correctly. The problem can be eliminated by replacing the plastic bushes, two of them I believe, for a cost of $5 for parts. You can do it yourself. I have not done it myself so cannot give details.

Sorry but I don't know if this applies to your year of Maxima.

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie