1997 Maxima GXE, check light!

1997 Maxima GXE, check light is on, one at far right with picture of engine (not check engine, which is sort of in the middle). What is the most probable cause? Thank you.
Reply to
Al

Mileage is 200,000 Km. Muffler assembly from manifold to tail, two O2 sensors, gas cap, transmission oil, air filter, fuel filter were changed at

192,000 Km. oouch... big bucks.
Reply to
Al

Here is some help:

How to get the code:

What the code means:
Post back the results of your findings...

Cheers, Nirav

96 Max GLE, 119k
Reply to
njmodi

Ok, I've finally got the codes, one long, 3 short (01 03) which turned out to be the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor. Just to recap, I've been getting very hard starts when cool but ok when warm. Does this add up? Now, if it does, I might as well go whole hog and fix it.

  1. What do I buy?

  1. Standing at the front of the car and looking toward the windscreen, where is this sensor located? Is there a set of instructions or photos that show this op? (I've looked but could not find one)

Reply to
cpinnegar

Yes, that sensor would contribute to hard starting. The engine uses readings from that sensor to determine the air/fuel mixture at startup and open-loop.

The sensor is *relatively* cheap - 25 bucks or thereabouts from your local nissan dealer.

Location:

Cheers, Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

Sorry to be so obtuse Nirav but the diagram at the location above does not correspond to my 95Max. Exactly where is the ECM located? Is it near the throttle body? Below it? How far from the rad is it? How will I know it when I see it? That kind of data will help me. Remember, I'm no mechanic but want to follow this through.

Reply to
cpinnegar

The ECTS (Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor) is located to right side of the front valve cover along the upper radiator hose - it is a metal hose at this point. You will see two sensors threaded into the top of the hose (as viewed from the front of the car looking down at the engine bay). The first of these is the temp. gauge sender. The second one is the ECTS. There should be a harness plugged into it, and once unplugged, you just unscrew it out of the coolant pipe with a 17mm (IIRC) socket.

Obviously do the repair with the car cold. You will not lose any coolant - so no need to drain it first.

Cheers, Nirav

Reply to
njmodi