1998 Nissan Maxima - GXE - Service Engine Soon light

Hello,

I have 1998 Nissan Maxima - GXE - about 68000 miles. Service Engine Light has come on. I took it to a mechanic and he just reset computer

- it went away for 3 days now its back. Is this a common problem? Should I take it to Nissan Dealer? Its out of warranty period now.

Everything seems to be fine with the car and its running smooth as ever.

Please give me some pointers

Thank you very much

AZXML

Reply to
Just Curious

It's easy to retrieve the code and check out the reported problem yourself:

Monte

Find another mechanic. He needs to read the code(s) and fix the problem(s), not just reset the code.

Reply to
Jim

Most of the problems indiciated by the MIL are minor emissions related issues, like O2 sensors going bad, catalytic converter to doing its thing etc. When there is a major issue, the MIL blinks, but then it is not as if you would need the blinking MIL to tell you that there is a major problem like cylinder mis-firing. That would be very noticeable without the MIL. Anyway, it's easy to diagnose, as someone pointed to the link at vbmaxima.

CD

Reply to
codifus