1999 Maxima,OBD-2 CODE, P0430,CAT EFFICIENCY BELOW THRESHOLD

1999 maxima shows p0430 code is there anything I should or could do before replacing the catylitic converter? Is there a Nissan tech here who could tell me if this solved the problem the nissan tech cited the cause of the code to be a "program" so they wrote"mil reprogram ECM, and coded it 555 wn it might be a pricing code. but if any nissan tech who can tell me what "mil reprogram ECM" does? The reason i ask is the service engine soon light came back on 4 months later, and hey reset the ecm again and Im getting close to the emmision warranty running out . Thanks in advance.
Reply to
romulan

I have a 2000 max with 52K on it that is showing the same code every 3 days or so. When it was new I found that If I added Dry gas (ethenol) The 430 code would come on in a few miles. After I refilled the tank no more code. This went on for years. Now that NJ has gas with 15% ethenol the 430 code has come on every 3 days since NJ introduced this fuel (almost 2 years now). I have concluded that Nisson has to reprogram most of the maximas in this area becuase the O2 sensor readings need to be modified. BMW 5 series has a similar issue in this state as well. I'll get my ECM updated and repost the results. Just find out if ethenol is in the fuel.

-- Message posted using

information at

88vette