1999 Nissan Maxima noise while driving

Most cars, as brake pads worn out, usually gets noise when hitting brake but my 99 Maxima is vice versa. I hear the squeezing nosie while driving but the noise stops when I apply brake. Anyone knows what cause this problem?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Le

Were all the factory shims put back the last time the pads were changed?

Reply to
E Meyer

That's the sound of the squealers telling you your pads are worn out.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Are you sure about that, Dave? The pad warning squealers on every car I've ever had (including 3 Maximas of that vintage) only make noise when you squeeze them into the rotors by applying the brakes. Squealing when not braking is usually caused by the pads vibrating because the shims are missing.

I suppose its also possible that it could have aftermarket metallic pads that just squeal, or the pads are so worn that its just metal on metal rattling around in there, or maybe a stone or something got caught between the rotor and the shield behind it.

The one time I had that sort of noise on a Maxima ('97 i30), it turned out a plastic grocery bag had gotten wrapped around a rear wheel hub and was partly melted onto the caliper.

The fix as far as the OP is concerned is the same no matter what the cause: get in there and look at each wheel if you know how, or get the brakes checked out by a competent mechanic.

Reply to
E Meyer

The brake pads including shims have been replaced with the ones purschased at Nissan Dealer over 3 years ago. The car has run fine since then until having this noise. Yesterday, I have opened the wheel, the pads worn only half way and the alert metal part is still far from touching the rotor. Don't you think the noise might come frome the wheel bearing problem? Thanks

Reply to
Le

Its possible, but a bad wheel bearing starts out with a pretty subtle noise on these until/unless its really bad (i.e. about to seize).

My daughter still has the '97 that was originally mine. It is developing a bad bearing (a souvenir from her smacking the right front into a curb one drunken night) The noise is so subtle, none of the professionals notice it unless it is pointed out to them. She hears it only because she had the car for several years and she know what it used to sound like.

Hard to find the offending bearing in the shop also, as the bearing has to be under load before it will make any noise.

Other things to look at would be a rotor with excessive runout which could be pushing the pads too far back in causing a vibration, or (less likely), sticking caliper pins. Were you able to check that the calipers move freely?

Reply to
E Meyer

On both my 97 Maxima and 94 RX-7, the noise is most noticeable when the pad is dragging on the caliper (I'm not on the brakes). I heard it most when I was driving down a road with the windows down and walls or buildings that reflect the sound back at me. It wasn't very loud, in any case. The squealer stops making noise when I press the brakes. Dunno why exactly, that's just how it happens.

All possible. I've had a stone get caught behind my front rotor and it DROVE ME NUTS with the squealing. It's also possible that the squealer got bent during installation of the pads, and it's squealing too early.

I agree.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Your problem is exactly what I have on my 99 Maxima. Yeah, the noise is easy to be heard with window down and when I drive by the edge on the road, wall, or cars next to mine. Since most of comments have mentioned the shims as well as other comments I have seen on the internet, I have tried one more time yesterday by opening the wheels. This time I have removed the brake pads, checked the shims. They seemed to be attached to pads by some sort of silicone type. As the brake pads worn only 1/2 - 2/3 rd, I intend not to replace them yet until I found out the exact problem. I bought brake grease, same grease found in purchasing new pads, then applied between brake pad and shim. Some online mechanics suggest that instead using anti-seize grease is better. I have sprayed both side of brake rotors with brake cleaner before putting the pads back. I have also made sure the shims are tighten to the pads. Now the noise seems to be stopped. My guess conclusion is that the noise might have been generated from the combination of shims and worn brake pads vibration. If the noise coming back again, I definitely need to replace new brake pads and shims as well as applying the anti-seize or anti-squeezing grease. Thanks.

Reply to
Le

A high squealing noise WITHOUT brakes applied usually indicates wear indicator is in contact with the rotor (you are out of brake pad material). This is easy to check, especially if you have 5-spoke wheels and can just look at the pad itself. Noise WITH brakes applied is because the pad can move in relation to the rotor so you may get chatter or squeal. Shims and greasing the pad backs can help this.

Reply to
George