2000 Brake Judder - Any luck with extended warranties? Replacement suggestions?

Hello,

I've read several discussions of people taking their 2000 Maxima's in for brake repairs under the service bulletin NTB00-088 (available here:

- great website for TSBs.) The first page of the TSB clearly states the service is covered underthe 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty. I just bought my 2000 Maxima from my uncle four months ago, and he had purchased the five year extended warranty gold plan. I called Nissan's toll-free number and told the rep about the TSB and asked if it would be covered under the gold plan now that the original warranty is expired - he did not sound very confident but he said "if it was covered in the original warranty, it should be covered in the gold plan." I've called three dealers around Cincinnati and asked them and all have said that it is a routine maintenance procedure so it is no longer covered.

That leaves two options. Anyone think I should press the issue further? Should I get a firm answer from 1-800-NISSAN1, or try pressing the dealers more? Anyone had any luck getting it covered?

The other option is not bothering with getting it covered under warranty. I asked my local mechanic to quote me on a front brake job with new Raybestos PG Plus rotors and Quiet Stop ceramic pads, which he said he would do for $325. (Are those good parts to go with for the Maxima?) I haven't brought it in for him to look at yet, but he suggested that with only 55,000 miles he just turn the rotors for $20.

What would you do?

Thanks, Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Speaking as one who had the the judder SB performed on my Max, I would suggest just saving time, but not money, by taking it to your mechanic. Simply put, the Nissan rotors suck and unless you replace them you will be back to juddering soon. Over a year since I swapped out my front rotors with Bremo's and still no judder . . . BTW: I went with the Nissan pads and have had no problem. Other pads have been quite dirty.

Reply to
Feynmanfan