2000 clutch chatter

Was the flywheel turned? I doubt it's the mounts. The flywheel might have been bad enough to need replacement. What kills a clutch is using the clutch to hold the car on a hill waiting for a light. You know rocking the car back and forth...

Reply to
Steve T

I've read a few posts about this in this newsgroup, just want to expand on that a little. I had my clutch replaced this week. It was in horrible shape, the disc was almost down to the rivets, and flywheel badly burned. Mechanic said, though, that it was all in alignment, pilot bushing was in good shape, no oil was leaking on anything, etc. Just bad driving, apparently.

I think between the three people that drive the car (including a 16 year old), we need to go back to "how to drive a stick" school. Otherwise, I'm going to be back for a new clutch every 30K. Maybe I can get a frequent-clutch-buyer discount.

Anyway, all has been fixed now, except I am still getting clutch chatter when starting out in first gear. I'm hoping it is engine mounts (would hate to have to remove tranny again), but, are there any other potential explanations, given what I have stated above? Car shifts smoothly in all other gears, no slipping, etc. It's the take-off that drives me nuts with the chatter. I can start off very slowly and sometimes avoid it, but normally it is there. If it is likely engine mounts, what is approximate cost for parts/labor to repair?

Thanks!

Reply to
Whit

Yes, flywheel was turned. If it was the flywheel, would this "chatter" not happen most/all of the time, as compared to just accelerating from dead stop? Also, occasionally the chatter will not happen, usually when you accelerate very slowly and causiously.... Thanks!

Reply to
Whit

Clutch chatter only happens when starting out whatever the cause. Grease on the flywheel, a bent disk, a bad pressure plate can do the same thing.

Sometimes a flywheel gets so hot turning it doesn't fix it. It gets 'hot spots' that are harder than the metal around them and when you turn it, it can actually make it worse. Sometimes grinding it instead of turning it can help? Also have no idea what type of clutch parts he used. It does sound like a clutch issue.

Reply to
Steve T