2000 Maxima - annoying intermittent ticking noise

My 2000 Maxima SE, Manual Trans, has an annoying ticking noise, I really need some suggestions in diagnosing it because the dealer found nothing when I took it to them 2 years ago, they said bring it back when it's permanent, for 18 months it disappeared, but now is back with a vengeance, although still not permanent.

The noise appears to be coming out of the front center air vent, but a friend who put his head down in the passenger foot well could hear it clearly too. When you pop the hood it's not possible to hear from outside, although you can still hear it inside while the hood is open.

It also seems engine speed related, it's typically only audible above

3000 rpm, and increases in frequency (ticking speed) linearly with engine speed, e.g. the ticking is twice as fast at 6000 rpm versus 3000 rpm. I think it's something around 100-200 ticks a minute, although this is somewhat guess work as I haven't measured the ticking frequency.

It doesn't matter whether you're moving or stationary, whether the AC is on or not, whether the air flow fan is on or not, whether you're in gear or not, whether the engine is cold or has been running for a while. None of these combinations seem to make any difference to whether you'll hear the noise or not.

Suggestions?

Thanks, Roland.

Reply to
Roland

I had this problem with my 2k Max. Dealer told me there was a bulletin of some kind on rattles in that car. Not sure how they fixed it, but it didn't take long to make the fix.

Reply to
You_Know_Who~

noise, I

dealer found