2000 Maxima Brakes (possibly)

I have a 2000 GXE with a recurring problem. First time occurence, started engine, reversed out of parking spot at work and car shook like you're in the wrong (stick) gear. Scared me. Next time (2 mos ago), reversed car out of parking spot at home, same problem with the shaking and rumbly brakes and got worse, car produced strong sulfurous odor too. Took car to dealership, had coil around 4th piston replace - that was the diagnosis. Well, last night the problem returned. Reversed car out of parking spot, the brakes felt rumbly. When brakes were applied car, felt rumbly and car shook a little and sulfurous smell. In neutral car was OK. Drove 2 miles home. This morning, let engine run a couple of minutes; problem has not come back. Does anyone know what is going on here?

Reply to
Sherry

engine, reversed out of parking spot at work and car shook like you're in the wrong (stick) gear. Scared me. Next time (2 mos ago), reversed car out of parking spot at home, same problem with the shaking and rumbly brakes and got worse, car produced strong sulfurous odor too. Took car to dealership, had coil around 4th piston replace - that was the diagnosis. Well, last night the problem returned. Reversed car out of parking spot, the brakes felt rumbly. When brakes were applied car, felt rumbly and car shook a little and sulfurous smell. In neutral car was OK. Drove 2 miles home. This morning, let engine run a couple of minutes; problem has not come back. Does anyone know what is going on here?

Sounds like you may have another coil going bad. Has your SES light come on yet?

Reply to
Dan

i've a '01 anniversary edition(~57k) when i back down a slight incline i get a small shudder from the front brakes. i just assumed it had something to do w/ the antilock function since i was backing and going downhill.

you going downhill when it shook? kinda strange, huh??

Reply to
surfsalterpath

The SES light did come on during the second occurrence. The car was on level ground when I started it up for those 3 times.

Reply to
Sherry

If there's one coil gone you should replace all of them. There's a service bulletin on the coils.

Reply to
G&B Bonnin

I would double-check this advice. Unless there is a difference between the new coils and old coils (in the case of the '99s) dealers typically replace all coils because they don't want to figure out which one went bad.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Had my coils replaced Friday. The dealer narrowed it down to #2, but 300 for 1 or 825 for 6, I just bit the bullet. I was 1000 miles out of warranty, of course. The tech also removed and cleaned all the plugs. Dave 99 SE-L 73,000 miles

Reply to
davidb1

Sorry, but your dealer ripped you off. You could have done all six for a little over $300 yourself ($55 each) in under 45 minutes. And yes, that's with OEM coils.

Reply to
Dan

Well guys. I brought the car to the dealer for 45K service and told them to look at the problem I've been having. The remaining 5 coils needed replacement. Needless to say the $ was not small amount. The platinum gasket (not yet replaced) needs to be replaced too cos air's leaking (still under 60K warranty). The net effect: the 'mobile runs beautifully now. The rattling tinny noise and not enough umph when accelerating I've had since about 10K has gone away too.

Reply to
Sherry

what coils??

to look at the problem I've been having. The remaining 5 coils needed replacement. Needless to say the $ was not small amount. The platinum gasket (not yet replaced) needs to be replaced too cos air's leaking (still under 60K warranty). The net effect: the 'mobile runs beautifully now. The rattling tinny noise and not enough umph when accelerating I've had since about 10K has gone away too.

Reply to
Bob

Ignition coils

Reply to