JimV

Chain...

Reply to
Dan

Chain...

Reply to
Boots Crofoot

Really.

My dealer just told me that there is a crack on my timing belt (he specifically told me it is timing belt, not chain) and asked my permission to change it. I have not done it yet and it will cost me around $160. This

2000 Max only has 45K miles. I thought the timing belt usually lasts 100K.

Regards,

Reply to
eAW

The engine does not have a timing belt - it has a timing chain that should last the life of the vehicle,,,

It does have a serpentine belt that drives the wp, psp, ac, and alternator - now that is rubber and might well need to be changed at

45K miles.

"eAW" wrote:

Reply to
vander

Maybe he meant the serpentine. Cracks are acceptable. Many cracks are just as accceptable. Broken ribs (material missing) are not though.

Reply to
Daniel

Does this belt cost $160 to be replaced??

Reply to
eAW

Between paying list and labor rate it could be.

Reply to
Brian

I thought that someone mentioned, earlier, that the 2000 Maxima had timing chains...

Reply to
Larry Davick

If your dealer told you $ 160.00 then it's not for a timing "belt" or "chain". That kind of repair requires a lot more work than $ 160.00 will buy you at a dealership. Maybe he meant the serpentine accessory belt that runs the alternator etc. I had to have mine replace a few weeks ago whent he alternator died (ever see an alternator glow red? quite a sight at 5:30 am when your leaving for work). The belt was replaced then because the alternator had seized and the belt was dragging over the pulley and melting.

Todd 95 Black Max with 300,000 km

Reply to
Todd Fortin

I thought the later model Maximas had timing chains and not belts. Is this true. When so they need to be replaced?

Reply to
Trader

The later motors have chains (exc. VG motors) no need to replace for the life of the car usually.

Reply to
Brian

Reply to
Trader