2000 maxima- leaky heater core

The heater core on the Maxima 2000 is 3years or 60Kms. I have over 90Kms on mine and after having the rad flushed found a 1/4" of green rad. coolant under the passenger floor mat.

Not good said the mechanic- need a new heater core and the whole front panel needs removal to install. I figured they blew it with a rad flush and would cover it.

7.2 hrs labour all told $866 but they picked up the labour which was decent of them. I wonder how often a heater core goes after 4 years?

Ralph

Reply to
Ralph Cameron

What did they use to flush it? A normal drain and fill procedure as recomended by the factory (drain radiator and engine block and refill) couldn't cause this and if the normal 2 year interval coolant change (or even 4 year..) interval is followed, a car never needs a "power flush". If they did do a "power flush", yes this is the sort of problems that type of 'maintanace' can cause. Stick to the factory service procedures and this sort of thing won't happen. OTOH I have seen heater cores fail in this short a time but it's pretty rare. Most of the ones I've replaced were "power flushed" to their death.

Reply to
Steve T

Never had that problem with my 10 yr old 95 SE (purchased May 94), but I think the coolant has only been replaced (should be no need to flush). Maybe they hooked yours up to a hose on city water pressure, instead of

15 psi maximum.

I did have an A/C evaporator leak on a 2 yr old 89 T-bird (out of warranty due to mileage). I knew it was going to cost me when I checked the service manual and first instruction was "remove the dashboard". But I inquired why it was not easier to replace if it was a normal maintenence item, and the dealer later sent me a check for half of the labor.

Reply to
David Efflandt

Reply to
Roger