2000 Maxima pulls to the right

To make a long story short. Check engine light came on 2 weeks ago and car didn't feel quite right when accelerating. Nissan dealer said change 6 ignition coils. While the car was up he called me and told me one of the boots on one of my front wheels was torn and I needed a new axle. I changed the ignition coils (seems to be a 2000 Max problem from reading many postings) and did the axle (I have had to replace axles before on other cars due to the boot problem so this didn't sound like he "steered me wrong." As soon as I picked up the car I noticed something wrong. In fact, I pulled over and checked the tires to see if I had a flat. The car was pulling to the right. I brought the car back to the dealership and after an argument where they said changing an axle could not cause the car to go out of alignment (I can't see how it can't) agreed to align the wheels. Now the car pulls to the left. I took the car to my regular mechanic who rotated the tires and did another alignment. How it pulls back to the right again! But this is what I notice. The car does not pull either way when coasting, but when accelerating, she pulls drastically to the right. I don't remember this happening recently, but I do seem to remember noticing the car pulling to the right when I first bought it. My feeling was that the car was (and still is) such a rocket when accelerating, that the natural torque of the engine when revving pulled it to the right. Do any of you with this car experience this? She is so fast and has such great acceleration, that I think the pulling to the right is due to the strength of the engine and putting the new ignition coils in restored the car to "like new" power and what happened at the beginning is happening again. Any thoughts? Thanks

Reply to
David Schwartz

A very interesting post. I shall be interested to learn the solution to your problem.

I had a similarly vexing problem after a transmission rebuild (non-maxima) a few years back. After much going back and forth between the tranny shop and the tire store where I had it aligned it was discovered that the pull during acceleration was due to a bad tire. I know that this would be a stretch in your case, but swapping your front tires without tweaking the alignment an making sure that they have the same pressure would be a way to determine if your tires are the issue.

I recently changed out my coils and, like you have noticed that the acceleration is smoother. Just curious - how much did the dealer hit you for parts and labor?

Good Luck

David Schwartz wrote:

Reply to
nospam