2000 Maxima rear caliper replacement

I have 80K miles (mostly highway miles) on my 2000 Maxima and am being told I have to replace the rear calipers. I also need new rotors even though the current ones are less than a year old.

Does this sound right? Do calipers just start failing?

Thanks

Reply to
Mark

Both rear calipers need replacing? In my experience caliper failure is rare so the odds of two failing at the same time would be very, very low. The odds that someone is trying to milk your wallet are correspondingly high. Unless, of course, something happened to your brake system such a contamination, etc.

If those are the origninal Nissan rotors I would recommend chucking them and going with a reliable OEM such as Brembo. I recently purchased some rear rotors for about $45 for both.

Good luck . . .

Reply to
Feynmanfan

Calipers are not "wear" parts - they should last for the life of the car, but of course like any part they can simply break. But when they do so, they do it one at a time !

Similarly, unless you race you car, a set of disks (rotors) - especially rear disks - should last for many, many miles, at least for three changes of pads.

I suppose there's a slight possibility that when the rotors were previously changed, the shop did something really stupid on both sides which caused the disks to were and stress the calipers at the same time. But in that case you would have a claim against them for professional negligence.

You can test the state of your rotors yourself with that well-known tool, your index finger :)

Reply to
davidzz69

Rotors can go bad in a year if they were poor quality. Many auto shops sell low-grade rotors to save money, and they warp very easily. Brembos would be a great choice. Regarding the calipers, it is also possible that the shop you visited did not know how to compress the piston (it SCREWS in) and thought they were frozen or bad. You might want to check another shop...

Matthew

01 Max SE
Reply to
maxima1