2000 maxima SE stalls when warm

Hi all, I hope someone can help me. About a year ago my 2000 maxima began to stall intermittantly after the engine warmed up at idle. No check engine light ever came on. I took it to the dealer and they fiddled around with it and found nothing even though it stalled for them a couple of times. Additionally, when they gave my car back to me the electronics that control the door locks and a few other things was mysteriously broken. They refused to take responsibility and fearing more 500 dollar errors, I took it elsewhere. The new mechanic never did discover the underlying problem. I gave it some fuel injector cleaner and the problem went away. Almost a year later, the problem has returned, and this time the fuel injector cleaner didn't work. Here's the information I've been able to gather. The car stalls at idle, usually when in drive or reverse as I come to a stop at a stoplight or change gears to back out of somewhere. It seems to do it more often when it has less than a half tank of gas. It occasionally stalls in park, but usually only after it has already stalled once. I was reading the posts about the 97 maxima that was doing the same thing, but this Niss Tech never gave a verdict. I'm afraid to take my car back to the dealer because they'll probably break some other $500 thing that I have to pay to fix. I'm on the verge of making a desperate plea to the car talk guys. Any thoughts? Chegwidden

Reply to
chegwidden

You're probably not going to find the answer here. It needs some troubleshooting by someone that knows what he's doing (and can see/touch the car).

Reply to
JimV

i have a 95 maxima and its been giving me the same problem for a over a week.I took the car to a mechanic, he checked the plugs they were alright..he instructed me to use fule injector that will solve the problem but it didn't. Now i think i will have to clean the oil filter in it.U can try doing that coz ur problems seems exactly the one im having with my car. keep posted on the updates abt the problem

Reply to
sLikk

use the connected links for your help on this. it sounds like the knock sensor could be bad or is gong bad. I had this problem on a 95 maxima, but you have the same symptoms and after researching the net, they say the same about the 2000 maxima also.

jesterwoo

Thanks for the posts, and I'm interested in other suggestions as well. Right now I'm compiling a list of possibilities to take to the mechanic. Jesterwoo, do you remember what your search criteria was when you searched for this problem? When I initially did my search I typed in Maxima Stalls on google. C

Reply to
chegwidden

I have similar problem with 1984 Maxima - stalls when engine reaches operating temperatures and idling in stop and go traffic. Could it possibly be the oil pump? Noted that for the first time in 20 years there was some seepage from the rear main bearing so I used an oil treatment in the last oil change Oil pressure on cold starting is around 4 kg/cm2 = (57 psig) but drops to about 1.5 kg/cm2 (

Reply to
gen1

My 2000 Max has been doing this like clockwork since it first hit about

45K. The culprit in my case has been the Throttle Body. It requires a really good cleaning to keep the Idle Air passing through when you release the accelerator. Remember, when your car is not fully warm, the TB is opened slightly, but once it is warm, it closes completely when you step off of the Gas Pedal. The ECM is in control to slightly open the TB when this occours, and over time, the TB gets build up, and this slicht amount of oppening is not sufficient to keep the idle up, and the engine stalls. I reccommend that the TB be cleaned every 30 - 50k to keep things running. Also, make sure you are using an O2 sensor safe cleaner (Very Important).
Reply to
Joe-In-Rancho

My 2000 Max has been doing this like clockwork since it first hit about

45K. The culprit in my case has been the Throttle Body. It requires a really good cleaning to keep the Idle Air passing through when you release the accelerator. Remember, when your car is not fully warm, the TB is opened slightly, but once it is warm, it closes completely when you step off of the Gas Pedal. The ECM is in control to slightly open the TB when this occours, and over time, the TB gets build up, and this slicht amount of oppening is not sufficient to keep the idle up, and the engine stalls. I reccommend that the TB be cleaned every 30 - 50k to keep things running. Also, make sure you are using an O2 sensor safe cleaner (Very Important).
Reply to
Joe-In-Rancho

Clean the Thottle body

Reply to
Joe-In-Rancho

That problem was in my friends car... after several trips to the dealer, the dealer basically gave up as did another independent mechanic. I finally decided to go with my gut feeling of a bad MAF (as Steve T had originally suggested in that thread) and bingo, problem fixed. The MAF never posted a CEL and sometimes the car would run fine for weeks on end and then all of a sudden, it would stall 3 times in an hour. As Steve stated in his original reply, sometimes the only way to test if its a MAF or not is to replace it with a known working MAF and see if the problem goes away.

Nirav

96 Max GLE, 111k
Reply to
Nirav J. Modi

What is a MAF?

Reply to
Feynmanfan

Thanks for all the great suggestions. It's at the mechanic now, with a list of my primary suspects. I'll let you know what the verdict is, hopefully later today!!

Reply to
chegwidden

Mass Airflow Sensor.

Reply to
Nirav J. Modi

i think i am having very related problem - same situations - but not everytime - when idling, going slow ( list of my primary suspects. I'll let you know what the verdict is,

Reply to
Ravi

The mechanic cleaned the Throttle Chamber and now the car seems to be running fine! Thanks EVERYONE!! Hopefully this will really be the end of it!

Reply to
chegwidden

great that your car is fixed :) !!

i have a question - you meant the engine stalls - does that mean the engine comes to a complete stop ? pardon me - i am a novice :(

btw, i noticed the idling Engine RPM is around 700. Is that normal ?

i will be going to the dealership this weekend (last weekend, i couldn't).

thanks, ravi

chegwidden wrote:

Reply to
Ravi

replying to chegwidden, djgdjg wrote: Had one at my shop crank ran and stall when up to temp. After testing and checking throttle body for being dirty it ended up being the temp sensor . The test is when it does start to stall when warm unplug the temp sensor see if it will crank then, hope this helps

Reply to
djgdjg