2000 Maxima Service Engine Light On and "Stuttering" Under Acceleration

The Service Engine Soon light on my 2000 Nissan Maxima came on Saturday on the interstate. I checked everything and the car was running fine. I continued, but when I got off the interstate onto a curvy two-way/two-lane road, the car would stutter when I accelerated coming out of a curve. I pulled over and the car was idling slightly rough, not even noticeable unless you drive the car regularly. I had the car towed to the nearest dealership by Nissan Roadside Assistance. The service department was not open on Saturday so it is still there. I will call this morning to make sure they know about it.

I suspect it is the ignition coils again. I had two replaced under warranty at 35k. It now has 74k. The symptoms are similar. My question to you is:

  1. Would be harmful to drive the car for a long period of time (approximately 2.5 hours) to get it home and do it myself?

  1. Should I get the coils beforehand and do it in a nearby parking lot?

  2. Should I "bite the bullet" and let the dealer do it?

  1. Should I get the coils from Nissan or an aftermarket (i.e. Autozone, etc.)?

  2. If I do it myself, do I still need to return to the dealer to reset the ecu?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

L.D.

Reply to
KTG, Inc.

"KTG, Inc." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I replaced all six of my coils last month. I am *not* a gearhead and it was pretty simple.

I bought all six on E-bay for ~$200. It would have been ~$800 at the dealer. Took about an hour to install.

I got them from e-Bay.

I just drove the car after replacing my coils and the ECU eventually cleared the code.

Reply to
AnalogKid

dont know if im to late but Im having the same exact problem. I bought the coils at autozone and changed them and the plugs out myself in about 30 minutes. I reset the codes using the loaner code reader from autozone and all was good for about 10 days. Light came on again this morning coming to work, havent had a chance to read the code yet.

Reply to
bigdoug

After you fix the problem you dont have to reset the ecu, you can drive the car and after 40 cycles (meaning engine is cold and you drive it enough to warm up to regular temp.) the check engine light should go off by itself

---if it doesn't then you must have another problem that is not fixed!!!

Reply to
M3EuroS52