2000 Maxima Service Engine Soon Light

Hi, friends,

I have a 2000 Maxima with 50,700 miles that just passed inspection 3 weeks ago, and mechanically is in excellent condition. Four days ago, the Service Engine Soon light came on, and the manual says to first check the gas cap to make sure it's on tightly, and that it may take a couple of driving trips until it recycles itself.

The light is still on after 3 days of driving, and I was hoping someone out there may be able to give me a possible reason why it is on, and what, if anything, I can do to reset it myself, short of bringing it to the dealer.

thanks! alan

Reply to
azf713

Reset = batt cable off ½hour or more. All info u need via 'Favorite Links', clic link below.

Reply to
Wiikinki

Thanks for the reply.

I actually brought the car to AutoZone where they read the codes for free, and it came out as P0135 - O2 sensor 1 in bank 1. I don't know if I can get around that, but I'll take a look at the link.

Thanks!

Reply to
azf713

Replace that sensor if problem persists, relatively easy DIY-project if you have the proper O2 socket-tool.

Reply to
Wiikinki

No it doesn't. That works on OLD cars not these later models ones.

I wish you'd stop posting misinformation like this here..

If nothing else, learn how to post to these groups! Whatever newreader software you use doesn't thread your messages.

Reply to
Steve T

Batt off =ECU reset on 2k2 max every time. This very basic fact is easy for all owners to verify, on all models.

I dont go into used chip types, databus width -or- clock rate etcetc -as that info isnt given ouy by Nissan. Oh boy youre funny. Maybe your cowboy 'BS' bits [you mentioned] dont run on 12V but...?

Reply to
Wiikinki

Thanks, all, for the assistance.

Ended up replacing the B1 O2 Sensor (Black), and it took me all of 10 minutes. Hardest part was snaking the plug end through (ended up cutting the old one apart) but i simply dropped the sensor through from the engine side.

Picked up an O2 socket, but to tell you the truth it was harder to fit into the space that was there, and I have some nice burns on the forearm to attest to that. Used a 7/8 open end, and it worked like a charm.

Reset the ECU by leaving the batt disconnected for 30+ minutes. First few minutes of driving after that had the engine running very rough, buy I figured on that. Now all is good...light's off, engine purrs again, and I am one happy camper.

thanks again!!!

azf713

The FSM (follow the mentioned links, it pay$) tells that there is a self learn curve after reset. Also it details how to "teach" the ECU with a 20min drive pattern. Anyways, without thie 'teaching session' ECU seems to learn by itself, just on longer time span -if- that approach is not followed.

Reply to
Wiikinki

Mine has been giving 138 and 139 codes, bank 1 sensor 2,,runs fine still though.

Its a Cal Emissions model, lucky me, and has 4 o2 sensors. i am having trouble finding out which sensor is bank 1 Sensor 2.

Anybody know which of the 4 connectors this one is?

"azf713" wrote:

Reply to
AZV14