2000 Maxima; Slick 50

Will Slick 50 or similar products do any harm to a Max 2k engine?

Reply to
Geoff Bonnin

No, but the VQ30DE is bullet proof. Just run a good quality oil and it will easily outlast the rest of the car.

Reply to
JimV

Did you know Slick 50 is a complete and total hoax?

Their marketing completely relies on that demonstration of sliding friction wear. Did you know that the reason the slick 50 machine never shows any wear is because they have a roller bearing hidden in there so that it's not actually sliding contact? That's how they do it - if you ever see one live, ask them to lift the slider so you can see both surfaces in contact - they will refuse to do it.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

See also

I rather recommend using "Slick Sixty":
Much better than the ole fifties stuff. :-)

Kind regards

robert

Reply to
Robert Klemme

I agree that it probably doesn't do much in the long run. I tried it once in a new Toyots Celica Gt (1976?). In those days the engines has carburetors. After I put in the slick 50 and drove it arounf for 20 miles or so, it idled almost 100RPM higer than it did before I put in the Slick 50. Any thoughts on that? The only thing I could come up with was that the engine turned easier. I physically backed off the idle screw to lower the RPM. I kept using Slick in that car but I haven't used it since. I figure synthetic is as good as anything now.

Reply to
No One

It definitely runs different than oil without the additive - whether that's a good thing or bad thing is another matter. Run a google search on slick 50 or any other PTFE based additive and see what some serious engine experts say about it.

I'll give you a hint as to what you'll find: I learned about the Slick

50 demonstration trickery from an ex-Detroit engine design engineer. He doesn't use any additives and never will. His opinion is typical of those In The Know.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

2k engine?

I tried it

engines has

arounf for 20

before I put in

could come up

backed off the

car but I

anything now.

It definitely runs different than oil without the additive - whether that's a good thing or bad thing is another matter. Run a google search on slick 50 or any other PTFE based additive and see what some serious engine experts say about it.

I'll give you a hint as to what you'll find: I learned about the Slick

50 demonstration trickery from an ex-Detroit engine design engineer. He doesn't use any additives and never will. His opinion is typical of those In The Know.

Dave

Reply to
Boots Crofoot

2k engine?