2000 Maxima w/ 68k: do I need tuneup?

I'm the original owner of a Maxima 2000 GXE with about 68,000 miles. I'm seeking advice on how I should go about service. I've had no work done besides a recent radiator flush, new rear brakes, manual tranny fluid replacement at 36k, all ignition coils replaced at 32k (under warranty).

Stills runs fine. But it occasionally misses when I first start (then runs fine a few seconds later) and sometime she hesitates when I punch it. It is starting to "rumble" a bit so I'm guessing I have an exhaust leak that needs addressing.

Would a tuneup accomplish anything? Any other service items? Spark plugs don't need to be replaced, right?

In the back of my mind is that my Maxima was flooded in the summer of

2006. Several inches of standing water on the floor. I shop-vacced every day for about 15 days before I stopped pulling up water. The mechanic replaced a water-logged idler pulley, but otherwise he said no other issues and that the engine is sealed. 16-months later, there is no interior smell and no problems besides what I described above.

Also my interior fan sounds like a Harley. I suppose it is not easy to access the interior fan?

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Mike M

The car has 100,000 mile spark plugs, so they still have 30K miles of life left in them. I would suggest cleaning your throttle body. Carbon deposits stuff up the intake system and tend to make low rpm drivability less smooth.

CD

Reply to
codifus

Have the entire fuel intake/injector system cleaned, about 200 dollars at a dealer. They have the correct solvents and procedures so as not to damage the MAF.

Reply to
common_ sense

Yeah, like electrical parts cleaner from Radio Shack. I've cleaned MAFs with that multiple times. No issues. That, and intake throttle body cleaner "safe for fuel injected engines" available at any auto parts store such as Pep boys, Autozone, etc. Those 2 will do the trick for DIYers and save you a bundle.

CD

Reply to
codifus

you are foolish, and very luck then.

Reply to
common_ sense

Maybe just not incompetent like you are.

Do you hide for weeks and then come back to grace us with your ignorance and spew more stupidity? It was nice while you were gone. Consider it again....soon.

Reply to
No One

get over being fired by the Nissan dealer,,

he did the rest of us a true service.

Reply to
common_ sense

I'm sorry, Mr. common sense, but the "rest of us" have reason not to go running to the dealership just to have our windshield washer fluid changed. Do you wish you owned a GM vehicle with Onstar, so you could push the blue button to ask "what does that red light on the dash mean, the one with the person sitting and it looks like a belt strapped to him? Is my car going to blow up?"

We've all had horror stories from our stealership, like:

Paying $350 for an emissions repair only to later find out that it was supposed to be free, covered by warranty. The dealership denied it all the way untill their hand was forced. To make matters worse they accidentally dented my rear bumper but denied it completely because I only noticed after I left the dealership.

Just recently, a friend of mine took his Altima to get the check engine light diagnosed . . .at the dealership. They came back with a quote of $1000 for the repair. I said nonsense. I advised him to take the car to autozone and have them read the code. I know form experience that the vast majority of check engine codes are minor emissions or engine related issues. Guess what? The code was a faulty crank sensor. The dealership somehow managed to blow that up to $1000. Please. Puh-lease.

CD

Reply to
codifus

They don't pay enough for me to work for them. As usual, you are grasping again.

You still taking your Nissan to the dealer to get air put in the tires?

Reply to
No One

First,,,learn how to spell "from",,or get a spelling checker,,

second - as usual, all you post is "your opinion", that the dealer was ripping anyone off, and that somehow "shade tree" mechanics are all gods angels - sent to save us from being ripped off.

Your "suppose to be free" emissions complaint is just your opinion, and a dented bumper ???- what next, are you going to blame Nissan for global warming,,,??

a defective crank sensor could well be very expensive to replace - depending on where in the engine it is located. So how much did your "friend" spend to get it fixed?

Once again, my dealer hasnt ever forced me to do/fix anything, and though maybe a bit more expensive than using some HS drop out "mechanic" at the local here today gone tommorow repair shop - everything that was worked on, was fixed, and stayed fixed.

Go Troll some other newsgroup.

Reply to
common_ sense

Mr. Sense, get some. . . . . .sense!

Actually, the dealler ripped me off. I called Nissan corporate, faxed them the receipt, they verified that the job should have been free.

Umm, OK. I'm just shwoing how the dealer will try to sneak anything by.

He didn't get his $50 back from the Nissan dealer, but he spent $200.00 on 2 sensors, the crankshaft position and reference sensor and labor---$50.00 If you add it all up it comes just a wee bit less than $1000.00

Look, there are good and bad dealers. I have not, my friends have not, and many other have not, expereinced a good one. Maybe yur dealer is good, or maybe you're too naive to see when you're really being ripped off.

Perhaps you should take your own advice.

CD

Reply to
Codifus