2001 Nissan Maxima, grinding noise on start-up. AC/Compressor, clanking

Researched this a lot and found that I only get this grinding sound once a day or after car sits for about 5 hours -AND- I turn on the AIR unit after starting.

Car always starts fine. AC/Heat work fine.

If I have AC off and then turn on after I first start the car, I will hear the grinding like sound and then it goes away. Cannot duplicate unless I let car sit for 4-6 hours or overnight.

Is there a separate belt for the AC than the main belt I just had replaced 8 months ago and had tightened recently for grins?

Could this be a pulley issue?

Hopefully not a compressor problem?

All ideas appreciated.

Thank you Patty

Reply to
pattyjamas

Sorry, sounds like a failing compressor...

Reply to
JimV

Yes.

For maximum detailed info check clic clic 'Favorite Links' top left at this page

... the FSM confuzeanaphabetical index doesnt contain any belts -but- seat belts (maybe there isntone, or its the only belt Nissan service ppl should be allowed to tighten?)

Reply to
Wiikinki