2002 GLE Replacement Tires

I've been browsing this NG for info about replacement tires for my 02 GLE. The OEM size (215/55-17) is limited to a few models from even fewer manufacturers. I've received a few different responses to queries about acceptable tire sizes. Tire Rack states that 225/50-17 or 235/50-17 would work. Another source recommended 225/55-17. Tire Rack stated that those tires might be too "tall". How will these tire sizes affect things like wheelwell clearance and speedo/odo readings? I am more interested in tread life, light to moderate snow performance, and ride comfort/noise than high performance. I am not interested in switching to snows for winter driving. Any suggestions??? Thanks.

Reply to
N_A_J

I would probably go with Tire Rack recommendations as that is what they do for a living. I have bought several sets, 4 or 5 actually, from them and have never been disappointed with their prices, service, warranty or recommendations. Good Luck with whatever you decide, John PS check out this page, it might help you decide......

Good Luck!

Reply to
John

Thanks for the info. It looks like the best fit if I don't go with the OEM size would be 235/50-17. I did find Toyo Proxes TPT tires in the OEM size. They are much more reasonbly priced than the Turanza LS-V's that I found in the alternate size. I really don't need a V speed rated tire, but they are rated highly overall at Tire Rack. I am trying to get info on how the Toyos perform in the snow. Anyone?

Reply to
N_A_J

The stock tires on my Maxima SE (same rims as yours) are 225/50-17, so it's a safe bet that those will fit perfectly. When I was looking at new tires, the 235/50-17 was too wide for the 7" rims. Recommended is

7.5", or wider, rims for the 235 size tire. For example, BMW uses 8-inch wide rims with 235 size tires.

215/50-17 is a very popular size found on many Acuras as well, so it should not be an issue, and I'd stick with it on your GLE for better ride and gas mileage.

For your GLE, I would simply buy Falken Azenis ST-115 in size

215/50-17 for your tire. A very good and quiet tire that performs well in all conditions. Cheap too.

Matthew

01 Max SE
Reply to
maxima1