2002 Maxima Steering Shimmy Above 50 MPH

I just purchased a 2002 Maxima SE with 45,000 miles on it. It had new brakes, rotors, and pads at the time. I thought that the tires were mis-balanced so I had them re-balanced but I still have a slight shimmy in the steering above 50 mph but below 70 mph. I don't know what this is, but I was thinking of going back to the dealer to have them figure it out. Any suggestions or has this happened to anyone? I was told possibly a bent rim or bad wear on the tires. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-Anthony

2002 Nissan Maxima SE
Reply to
antmorano

Sounds like an out of round tire.

If you can put it on jack stands and rig up some kind of runout gauge you can see for yourself.

Reply to
davidb1

Rotate the front tires to the back & see if it goes away or moves from the steering wheel to your butt. That'll tell you is its a tire/wheel or a front suspension issue.

Reply to
E Meyer

Thank you, everyone, for responding. I'm taking it to the shop to see about it being out of round.

I will let you know how this turn outs.

-Anthony Morano

Reply to
antmorano

antmorano:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: > I just purchased a 2002 Maxima SE with 45,000 miles on it. It had new > brakes, rotors, and pads at the time. I thought that the tires were > mis-balanced so I had them re-balanced but I still have a slight > shimmy in the steering above 50 mph but below 70 mph. [...]

There may be more than one cause for the vibrations, and the causes may function simultaneously.

A faulty shock absorber could cause wheel hop vibrations.

Vibrations may be caused by a rippled road surface that had been distorted by the periodic vibrations of vehicular traffic. The car's wheels will bounce according to the waviness of the road surface if the vertical wheel motions are not damped by shock absorbers. The dampers of most cars would damp the oscillations, and the vibrations wouldn't be visible. Bad dampers may permit the increase of amplitude of the oscillations, and the vibrations would build to noticeable levels. That cause for vibrations may be specific to some roads and not others. Harmonic oscillations of the vehicle structures and suspensions are also the cause, and they also result in the vibrations of the structures and suspensions of the cars that follow on the same stretch of road.

Wheel mis-alignment, for example toe-out/in, might also contribute to the problem. Especially on undulating road surfaces. If so, unequal tire wear may be one result. Nissan could check that on the chassis machine. Inspection and measurement may show suspension or frame damage. On the other hand, a simple steering tie rod adjustment may solve the problem.

Ralph Hertle

Reply to
Ralph Hertle

I noticed that I feel it more when I'm on the highway and I'm going around a turn and mainting about 65mph. I am bringing the car in tomorrow afternoon for an overall check to see if we can fix this problem.

Anthony Morano

Reply to
antmorano

If you go for an "overall check" you are giving license to screw you. Use correct terminology with the service manager so you don't appear to be a sucker, let him know you suspect wheel balance (or whatever). Don't agree to buy new tires before you have the existing ones examined. If you diagnose it yourself as an alignment the service manager will be happy to sell you one, whether or not it actually is needed. Do your research first (google) and by all means rotate the tires yourself first and if there is any change at all in the vibration you almost certainly have a balance issue.

Reply to
George