2002 SE low pressure valve/air consitioning question

Hello - I have a 2002 SE and the air conditioning has been out for the last week. I put off buying any 134a until tonight. I am assuming the low pressure port is on the line leading from the passenger side dashboard to the front of the engine to the compressor. The valve cap itself was marked "L", so I can only assume this was correct. At any rate, to my dismay, when I pressed on the valve stem, it seemed to dispense refrigerant freely and w/ good pressure.

So the air blows, but I get no cold air. Does this sound like a condensor issue? Is this somethign you guys have experienced on this year/model?

Thx,

Ben

Reply to
Ben Miller

That's not a valid test. You can have still have pressure, but not enough to keep the limit switch open. You need a guage to measure it. Since you already have some R134, I'd put in 1/2 a can and see if the compressor runs. If not, it's probably time to take it to a professional.

Reply to
JimV

Sorry - I forgot to mention one thing - when I put the cap of the 134 onto the valve of the low pressure port, it wouldn't work - nothing would come out of the can. I took it off the valve and it worked fine. So I guess I was thinking that there was sufficient back- pressure to keep the can from emptying its contents into the line...

Reply to
Ben Miller

Low pressure really means lower pressure, but still, when working, it should be between 30 and 40 psi, with the a/c off, it should be at around 100 psi (if my memory does not fail me).

When transferring refrigerant from the can to the system, the pressure switch may need to be by-passed, and the can should be with the bottom up to dispense liquid refrigerant. Make sure you are using the proper dispensing (hose/gauges/connector) as to prevent liquid refrigerant from entering the system. Yes, you dispense liquid, but you do not want liquid in the low pressure side.

Good luck!

Ben Miller wrote:

AS