2004 Max SE- 6 speed manual hard shift question

I have a 2004 Maxima SE 6 speed Manual transmission, and it is at 29K. Within the last few days, I have noticed that when cold, it is difficult to get into 3'rd and higher for awhile and shifting sounds 'mechanical' rather than smooth. Seems that after I drive it for a bit, it gets better. I have it in the dealer service today, but I wanted to post here to see if the techs were consistent with what some of the experts here might have to say. Is this a fluid change issue, a tighten/adjustment, or is it likely a part that needs replaced? I have an ESP on it, but still want to make sure they aren't doing unnecessary work on my car.

Thanks,

Paul Qualls

2004 Max SE 29K
Reply to
Paul

Do you live in a cold climate? It's usually normal for the tranny shift with a little difficulty until the tranny fl;uid warms up. You might consider repalcing the OEM fluid with synthetic tranny fluid, which will perform much better.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

I do live in a colder climate than most. But I would hardly consider 60 Degrees cold right now. In the winter, we hover at about 30-50 degrees as a high for several months. If this is the case, I have some serious problems ahead. My son works at a lube shop and could probably flush and replace the fluid in my tranny with some synthetic stuff for a discount. Which might be worth a try.

Paul

Reply to
Paul