60 K tune up quote

My '93 Maxima GXE works fine but I want to have some peace of mind since ownning it for less than 1 year and not knowing any service history. I called my local Nissan Dealer and got a quote of $599.95 USD for the 60

000 mile tune up. Seems a bit high for me. I am in the North East. This is apparently what they charge for newer cars 60k tune up. I do not know how much longer I will be keeping the car, maybe less than 1 year, does this investment make sense? Should I try to get it done somewhere else?

Bob

Reply to
bob

I suggest you call an independent shop and ask for quote for the following:

- new air filter

- new fuel filter

- new timing belt (93 GXE's have TBs I think)

- new spark plugs

- new transmission oil

- radiator flush / new coolant.

- request mechanic informs of any worn / questionable items.

Dealers usually package a bunch of inspections with it and rip you good for something that took an extra 3 min. If you add up the cost of the 'real' items it usually comes out less than the said $600.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

I have a 93 GXE too, with 121K miles, in Worcester, MA. I need to get the 120 K service done. Bob, please post details once you get the service done.

Thanks.

Reply to
mehul

Does that include replacing the timing belt? If so, $600.00 sounds right. That's what I paid for my 60K service. The real killer is replacing the timing belt -- which should be replaced every 60,000 miles.

Reply to
Joe S.

When you have the 120,000 service done, remember that it includes replacing the timing belt.

Also, it's a good idea to replace the water pump because they must pull the engine cover to get to the timing belt and they just as well do the water pump while they are in there. The water pump may be working fine but

120,000 on a water pump is pushing it.

The 120,000 mile service on my 93 Max GXE cost just under $1,100.00 -- normal 120,000 service which included replacing the timing belt; replace water pump; replaced leaking camshaft seals (the inside of the engine cover was coated with oil that had blown out of the worn seals); and, replaced something else in there.

Reply to
Joe S.

replaced this

and these

I will try to getquotes from other mechs

Reply to
bob

I have a $279 coupon for timing belt replacement from a dealer in my area. Is that reasonable? How much do you think a water pump would cost if I asked the dealer to replace that too?

I need to get the 120 K mile service done, but cant afford to spend 1000 bucks on that right now, on account of having spent 500 bucks last week on new brake pads, rotors and ball joint, and 500 bucks last monnth on new front bumper and headlights that were smashed in a rear end collision. Thats why I wanted to go with the things that were an absolute requirement.

Reply to
mehul

That's the most expensive part of the tuneup job. I haven't had one done for price comparison, but it sounds about right.

Water pump I'm not sure about, but if it were more than parts + 1 hour labor (done with the timing belt) I'd get very curious.

Dave

Is that reasonable? How much do you think a water pump would cost if I asked the dealer to replace that too?

bucks on that right now, on account of having spent 500 bucks last week on new brake pads, rotors and ball joint, and 500 bucks last monnth on new front bumper and headlights that were smashed in a rear end collision. Thats why I wanted to go with the things that were an absolute requirement.

Reply to
David Geesaman

How about the thermostat along with the hoses? Is this needed at 60K?

Neil

Joe S. wrote:

Reply to
Neil

The dealer mileage packages (30k, 60k, etc) are little more than "feel-good" packages. Are you mechanically inclined? for instance, can you look under your hood and check an accessory belt's tension and identify whether or not it needs replacing? can you even FIND the accessory belt(s)?

This takes only 2 minutes for you to do, but if you can't then you might feel more comfortable on a trip knowing you've got brand new accessory belts installed. But, be aware that it was highly unlikely they needed replacing in the first place, and that's the story for most anything else they do.

In the aviation industry such conservative maintenance makes sense. But for a car? Well, if you need this to feel better about your car, then by all means go ahead.

Otherwise... spend a few minutes with your head under the hood and ask them to do only the few things that really need being done. You will save a lot of money and not increase your risk of an on-road break down at all.

BuddyWh

Reply to
BuddyWh