87 maxima all dash warning lights stay on

I started up my 87 maxima to leave work today and noticed all the warning lights on the dash board stayed on ! usally they go on for a second and then go off.

All the mechanical guages show OK fuel, oil pressure alternator etc. but all the warning lights are on.

I assume I can trust the mechanical guages and keep driving the car ?

Any ideas on a cause or fix? if it cant be fixed is it OK to drive as long as the other gauges are showing OK

thanks

John G

Reply to
john_k_green

Strange as this may sound, is the key old and a copy of a copy of a copy? Some old worn keys may cause the lock cylinder to turn hard and it may not be returning all the way to the run position (Enough to stop the starter, but not enough to shut off the lamp test ckt). If the key does not move easily, make sure it's turned to the proper run position.

Gary K

Reply to
gary

This is normally a sign of an alternator failure.

Reply to
Steve T

if that was the case wouldn't the mechanical guage on the dash for the alternator show it? it seems to me fine?

Reply to
john_k_green

the key is old. I was thinking that could be the problem. I think I have the original key somewhere .I will try that. could it be the lock cylinder that is worn? I dont want to replace that if i dont have to

Reply to
john_k_green

Quick follow up,. I found and tried the original key that is not worn. The same thing still happens. all the lights go on and stay on at start up. but the voltage, fuel, temp etc. dash guages all show OK.

Do you think the switch used to check the warning lamps at start up is worn out?

any other ideas? I dont mind driving with all the lamps on and just checking the dash guages. but if this problem is a sign of something serious i would want to have it looked at.

Reply to
john_k_green

If the key turns easily, the odds are it's not the key/lock, it is kind of a longshot, but a cheap one. to check out!

gary k

Reply to
gary

thanks for the reply Gary,

I checked out some other posts with similar problem and most say it is the altenator?

I dont see how the volt guage would show in the normal range if this was the case. what do you think?

also you said "it is kind of a longshot, but a cheap one. to check out! " in your message. do you mean have the lock cylinder replaced?

Reply to
john_k_green

Not always. Like I said 99% of the time when all the light are on, the regulator in the alternator is toast. That gauge on the dash isn't really very accurate, you need to have it tested. I've seen them OVER charge with all the lights on, the gauge looks fine and the owner kept driving only to burn up EVERTHING electronic on the car which totalled it.

Reply to
Steve T

If you've tried another key, or wiggled yours, it's not the key/cylinder. I suspect it's time to look elsewhere (Steve T and nisstech are very wise in these areas)

Gary K

Reply to
gary

thanks Steve

I will make an appointment today to have my mechanic check it out. ASAP.

I wouldnt want my 87 maxima to burn up ! I need to squeeze a few more years out of it !

thanks I will report back on what he finds out.

Reply to
john_k_green

Altenator it is !. The mechanic wants $ 410 to replace. does that sound high?

Reply to
john_k_green

Is he using a nissan dealer reman? To diagnose and replace with a dealer reman, that's not an absurd price although sounds a tad on the high side. Then again it depends where you live and what the local labor rates are. Steve

Steve T

He used a dealer part. Also I think the labor rates are high here in MA.

It ended up costing $493.00 ! $177.00 for the part and the rest was labor !!!

I remember when I could run to auto parts store and replace one of those myself on my old cars of the 70s !

not so anymore

I never noticed that the alternator is buried down low on side of the motor on this model (87 maxima). so I guess 3-4 hours total labor is not out of the question.

Thanks again for your advise and help.

Reply to
john_k_green