87 Maxima - fuse box(es)

My 87 MAXIMA has developed some electrical problems that I must repair. Most embarrassing is "I cannot find any fuse box". Is not shown in my OWNERS SHOP MANUAL. Are there 2 ,one in the cab and one under the hood?

This 87 MAXIMA has 75K miles, works Ok, is non-sport, no spoiler, sunroof, digital dashboard model.

These failures are INTERMITTENT and did occur both when weather is hot today at 104F in So CALIF and previously when cooler.

The Turn signals will not flash outside or on the dashboard and the mechanical clicking is not heard. Failed at 79F this morning and now working at 104F.

The inside dome light does not light when door is open, bulb is OK.

The battery cables are clean and tight. Measuring voltages and resistance is easy with my meters. Please suggest anything else I should check. Many thanks, Dave_S

Reply to
Dave_S

Dave_s again with more info. My 3inch thick Owners Manual has numerous references to a 'fuse block' in schematics and mechanical disassembly info. One diagram in 'digital dashboard' section shows the 'fuse block' in the passenger cab on the drivers side behind the 'digital dashboard'. The diagram implies the 'digital dashboard' has to be removed to have access to 'fuse block' or change fuses.

I've changed my 'digital dashboard' and that removal is a lot of work. I must be interpreting something very wrong. The fuses must be in some location where fuses can be changed easily and rapidly in my 87 MAXIMA.

Can someone PLEASE point me to a photo, or a URL that explains where the 'fuse block' is and how to get at it to change or check fuses?

Thank you, Dave_S

Dave_S wrote:

Reply to
Dave_S

On my 87 with analog gauges the fuse block in on the lower left drivers side dash board, just near the door stopper strap. It has a vertical oriented rectangular access door with a small black recessed handle at the top. It snaps at the top and swings down at an angle to remove completely. If you have a factory service manual it is shown on page EL 175 and Nissan calls it Super Multiple Junction. The only differences between the fuse blocks are Canadian and USA models, with the CA model being larger. There is no difference in analog or digital gauge fuse blocks. The Turn Signal power is fused on the same circuit as the Cruise Control (ASCS)

Check your fuses first, then I would check your combination flasher unit. Page EL-39. It's not clear in the manual, but the flasher unit looks to be located near the brake stop light switch near the brake pedal pivot. Probably, partially under the dash. If the flasher unit and fuse checks OK, I would check the connectors in the circuit for corrosion, including the ground. If there is corrosion so get some Deoxit and apply to the contacts. You can get Deoxit spray at Radio Shack, or their Deoxits other various types on the web or commercial electrical supply. Don't buy the Radio Shack house brand contact cleaner.

Good luck

Reply to
edge

Edge and group:

Your reply is MOST helpful. Just where you indicated, I found the fuse box. Will begin looking for flasher and connectors

Inside, all fuses are visible under a white plastic frame. That frame is interfering with me removing any fuse to test or replace. Is that plastic frame removable? How?

Question about checking the bulb in the 'rear inside light' located next to the sunroof. How do I take off the 'square plastic lens' to remove and test the bulb? At one end of cover is printed "PUSH". Nothing happened when I pushed. Should PUSHING apply power to self test the BULB? Feels like I will break the lens if I pull too hard.

My 3 inch Shop Manual has fuse block on EL 197, different page numbers. DeOxit is very good contact lube and cleaner.

Many thanks. Dave_S

edge wrote:

Reply to
Dave_S

The frame covers the fuses and is removable with 4 legs that snap into place with a "hook" or undercut snap. I don't remember exactly , but I think it is removed by either pushing the top 2 legs down or pinching all legs inward to unhook it. PUSH is printed on the dome light lens because it can be turned on without opening the door by pushing the lens. Do not push to hard, you will feel a very small travel in the switch . I have not removed the dome light lens before. You can check for snaps around the edge of the lens fixture and then gently push toward the center of the lens unhook them. Another possibility is to remove the molding around the lens. The manual may have details on this. If the bulb is OK, check your fuse and then the connectors and grounds.

Reply to
edge