87 Maxima MAF sensor

the MAF sensor on my 87 max is bad. anyone know where to get a salvage one, or where i can get one cheap? Is there a way to bypass the MAF to make the car run without it for a short while? I need the car for the next couple of weeks and as luck would have it, the MAF went bad, the day i got it inspected and tagged lol. If any of u guys have a MAF laying around somewhere, and willing to part with it, let me know. you can e-mail me at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com. in the subject line enter, "MAF sensor".

thanks,

maxima

1987 Maxima GXE 125,000 miles
Reply to
Maxima

anybody? if not this car is going to the scrap yard. POS nissans, I will never own another one again!!

Reply to
Maxima

It's 20 years old...

Reply to
JimV

Check for bad earth connection on MAF, a common problem after 20 years.

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie

sorry ppl I was really pissed when i wrote this. I had been working on the car all day and still was not able to make it work. Al, What do u mean by "earth connection on the MAF"? any help is appreciated. If u guys could tell me in detail of how to repair it, I would like to try, if it doesn't work, I need to buy a new MAF anyway. How does the piece in the center of the MAF work(where the air goes through)? I think that the problem lies there. Also how exactly does the MAF work on this particular car?

thanks

maxima

Reply to
Maxima

Don't know the details of your car and MAF, but in most cases a wire must come from the MAF and be attached with a srew to some metalwork on the engine. It is that srew connection that may be faulty. Unsrew it, clean all surfaces and reassemble

Will email you MAF info

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie

I wouldn't take it apart. Just replace it with a used one. Don't waste money on a new one. And before giving up on it, try unplugging the harness and re-plugging it in again. The problem can sometime be that simple. if you do find that the MAF is indeed bad, then try finding a replacement here;

car-part.com

The way the MAF works is that the ECU sends a voltage to it to heat it up. As air passes over it, the MAF cools down. So the ECU sends more voltage to heat it some more. By mapping a relation between how much voltage the ECU must send to the MAF, the ECU can determine how much air is passing thru. Wide open throttle means alot of air passing thru, which means the ECU is sending a high voltage to keep it warm etc.

CD

Reply to
codifus

thanks guys, I will buy one from a salvage yard sometime soon. I have tried to unplug and replug the MAF, but that doesn't work(it used to before it quit this time).

maxima

Reply to
Maxima