87 MAXIMA- oil pressure

Oil pressure on my 87 MAXIMA varies from 5 psi at idle to 60-70 psi at driving speed. Just need an estimate of expected oil pressure variations, idle pressure and pressure while driving, for a normal MAXIMA engine with 69K miles.

Occasionally the pressure reads 0 psi at idle. At 0 psi, the oil can symbol flashes. Oil pressure increases immediately when engine RPM is increased. Could this be an oil pump problem [relief valve]? Still not sure if the Oil Pressure sensor/sender is really bad.

A local mechanic looked at oil pressure readings while engine was idling and at fast throttle setting and concluded that 'flashing alarm' was not a serious problem because 60-70 psi pressure was present at 4000 rpm with adequate crankcase oil level. He suggested doing nothing except change engine oil and filter. _Presently using 10W-30 oil. Would using

30W oil be advisable at 69K miles?

Not ready to spend $65 for oil sensor plus install labor if the sensor is not the problem.

Thanks for any thoughts or info. Dave_s

Reply to
Dave_s

For any year MAXIMA with the engine similar to my 87 MAXIMA, what are the usual oil pressure readings while idling and while driving?

My 87 MAXIMA oil pressure is 5 psi at idle and 60-70 psi while driving. Is that normal for an engine with about 69K miles that runs good with correct amount of oil in crankcase? Or, should the idle pressure be about 1/2 of the oil pressure when driving or less but not a low as 5 psi?

Only looking for estimated normal oil pressure readings.

Thanks, Dave_S

Reply to
Dave_s

- Do as suggested: clic an seek link below, top left ?Favorite Links". It pays.

- 89-94 3gen maxima: VG30E 3L V6 FSM pages LC4 & LC5 say min. idle pressure

9psi(0.6bar)

- Mentioned 5psi is ½ of the norm. I wouldnt care for that as pressure is up when rpm rises, BUT mentioned zero is 100% less than it should... open oil pan and check pump clearances with feeler gauge etc. Clic.

- For low pressure, FSM suggests these: regulator&relief valves, pump, leaks

Wiikinki

??? You'll risk damaging the engine over $100?

Reply to
Steve T

Low pressure is almost always the result of worn lower end bearings. I've NEVER seen a bad oil pump on a nissan vehicle.

Reply to
Steve T

....FSM suggests these: regulator&relief... ....I've NEVER seen a bad oil pump on a nissan vehicle. This highlights the problem with [all] those maintenance manuals incl Nissan FSM, 'they' address subassemblys from design/mfg assembly point of view: 'Troubleshooting' basically just lists all components in a new product. Theres no interest or financial incentive to resolve how wear, aging, ambient conditions etc affect the vehicle.

Theres nothin wrong in the FSM style of listing all parts in discussed subsystem, however. If detailly done, [not-like-chihiltons-comic-book] that helps figuring out where the oil pressure has possibility to escape. Take also a peek at the FSM flow diagram.

Here the engine has been mostly standing unused [no history revealed]: drying and chemical reactions may produce 'any kind anthills' into all liquid circulations, might be jamming the mentioned valve(s) open. Shot bearings will be the result of bad/no oil circ.

Reply to
Wiikinki