'87 Maxima Still Has Engine Whine

I've got a engine whine that I can't locate on my '87 Maxima with 65 K miles. The whine started about 1K miles after service of the t-belt, trans fluid change, and power steering pump hose replacement. I've been all over the engine with a stethescope and still can find it, but sound like it is coming from under the t-belt cover. It happens in all trans positions, at any temp and increases with engine speed. I have removed all the accessory belts to see if was the water pump, ps, alternater, idler pulleys etc. Oil pressure looks to be ok at the spec'd rpms. I replaced the timing belt and tensioner pulley at the proper tension. I found that the dealer installed the timing belt too tight and I thought I found the problem. I checked the t-belt covers for signs of rubbing. Still no luck. Anyone have a oil pump go out or have a bad torque converter? Any other ideas?

TIA

Reply to
thedge000

When stealership 'service' swaps new round teeth belt on squared teeth sprockets, billin is ensured and customer & engine whinin the big result. At least they play dumb in findin the noise source... DIY swap of squared belt to squared teeth helps in this problem. [=my max story]

That noise doesnt kill however; previous owner tells that this max whined well for 5yrs, 30k.

(I know I am negative while the situation isnt really so bad at stealerships: theres at least one guy in nissan-europe who is able to service maximas...)

Reply to
Wiikinki

== My guess is what ever belt was serviced that is the driven item causing the noise. The load on the driven item has been changed.

Reply to
Shines

The proper square tooth belt was installed, I made sure to check. A few others have mentioned that Maximas (VG30E engine) inherently have a noisy belt. Although I just got the car handed down from the family, I don't recall the whining noise this loud.

Wiik> When stealership 'service' swaps new round teeth belt on squared teeth

sprockets, billin is ensured and customer & engine whinin the big result. At least they play dumb in findin the noise source... DIY swap of squared belt to squared teeth helps in this problem. [=my max story]

for 5yrs, 30k.

theres at least one guy in nissan-europe who is able to service maximas...)

Reply to
thedge000

Tensioner bearing noise: 1. do NOT change and it breaks due to ageing 2. do change and new bearing is faulty = roll dice

Tst loosen the accessory belts to count them and their tensioners out...

Reply to
Wiikinki

All the accessory belts were removed. A new t-belt tensioner was replaced with a new belt after the dealer t-belt job, but the whine is the same. I checked the noise source again with the stethoscope and it seems to be coming from somewhere near right cylinder head (closest to firewall) maybe near the cam shaft pulley and head. The only things I can think of off the top of my head are a broken head bolt (there is a factory TSB) and a leaking/broken oil seal. I haven't ever heard of a leaking oil seal making noise, but possibly the internal spring in the seal broke and is rubbing the cam. I'll pull the rocker cover first. Ideas?

Wiik> Tensioner bearing noise: 1. do NOT change and it breaks due to ageing 2. do