87 MAXIMA-window water stains

My MAXIMA windows all have small circular spots which I cannot remove with any window cleaner that I have tried so far. Commercial window clean products promise much but the spots always remain. The small spots look similar to water deposits I see on glass shower doors. What glass cleaner REALLY works for shower door glass? WOuld that work for my car windows? What cleaner works for you folks? IF these spots are salt or calcium deposits, would CLR remove spots without damaging the windows?

I appreciate any help. Thanks, Dave_s

Reply to
Dave_s

1) Use your glass cleaner like normal. 2) Take a new,dry paper towel and fold it twice. Now buff the snot out of the window with significant pressure until the spots come up. The coarser and more industrial the paper towel the better it works. 3) Repeat 1 and 2 on back side of glass.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

When you find out what works, let me know. I've hard water stains on my windows (particular the rear glass) that haven't budged after 6 yrs of hand-washes and countless cleanings with windex/glass-plus etc.

On an unrelated note, my windshield is so pitted that the diffraction of oncoming lights at night has made visibility dangerously poor.. I'm contemplating having it replaced before winter really sets in.. especially with the sun setting at 4:30pm around here ;)

Cheers, Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

Dave, not to ask a stupid question, but isn't there the chance of really scratching up (fine scratches) the glass if you scrub/buff the living daylights out of it...?

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

Not when the paper is a much softer material than the glass. In fact, if the dry paper towel trick doesn't work on the water spots, an extra-fine cut body polish would be the next step. It's only glass, it's not paint.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Dave - makes sense.. except I have streaks all over the front windsheild, in nice arcs that follow the path of the wipers ... the rubber shouldn't be streaking the glass, and any dirt on the glass should be softer than the glass, so then what causes all those streaks? It's definitely from running the wipers...I just think it's much easier to scratch the glass than we would like.

On a related note - never scrub too hard on the inside of the rear glass... I was feeling a little too motivated one detailing session and ended up scrubbing out portions of the rear defroster (WTF?)... sure enough, I run the defroster a week later and 4 lines aren't working :)... that causes all sorts of static in radio reception!

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

not sure if it helps or not, but using normal car wax on my side and rear windows has always removed any kind of hard water stains i've encountered.

Reply to
Andre

Try some cleaner wax or light car polish. I just did the glass sunroof of a

90 300ZX that had this problem and they came right off.
Reply to
Steve T