87 Power Antenna

Can someone explain to me how to replace the antenna mast in an 87. Do you simply hold the flex track in place while turning off the radio or do you need to disassemble the power unit?

Thanks, John snipped-for-privacy@charter.net

Reply to
Ackerman

I replaced it on my 1995, hopefully yours is the same:

- If the previous mast came off *with the plastic flex track intact* then just push the new flex track in as you turn the radio off. How do you know if the previous flex track came out intact ? Compare its length to the brand new one you're installing.

- If the previous flex track broke inside the power unit (i.e. you have a shorter one than the new flex track) you'll have to disassemble the power unit: take it out of the car, open it up, remove the broken piece of plastic, put everything back.

I know it sounds a little vague but it's very simple actually. A Chilton book, your own eyes and intuition plus a Phillips screwdriver will easily do the trick.

Regards,

Gershon Shamay

Reply to
Gershon Shamay

Almost everytime the broken end of the cable is wound inside the unit. It's not that complex to take the unit apart to get the broken piece out, the majority of the job is removing the unit itself.

Reply to
Steve