88 Maxima transmission problem..

Hi I have a 1988 Nissan Maxima with 132k original miles. 3.0 l,

4spd auto. I just purchased this vehicle from a neighbor. It runs great but the tranny is leaking from what looks to be the input shaft near the TC. The neighbor says he had the tranny pulled last year and a new seal installed but it started leaking again shortly after. Im guessing its a bad bearing in the input shaft and of course another new seal. Has anyone had problems similar to this with thier tranny's? Is there something I could be missing on my diagnosis? Im planning on pulling this tranny and repairing it myself this coming week. Any help would be appreciated as this is my first Maxima I've owned.

Best Dennis

Reply to
Dennis

It could just be grooved by the seal lip and need a sleeve kit.

Reply to
Jim

Had a bad input shaft bearing on my 93 5-spd. That rattling around took out the seal and so she leaked. Just kept putting fluid in until the clutch cratered in the driveway. Pulled the tranny, took it apart in my kitchen, and discovered only 3 of the 7 bearing balls remained and the seperator race destroyed. Shaft not scored so replaced bearing and seal & the driveway diaper's been dry ever since.

Albert DeSalvo

Reply to
Kitchen Magician

Auto trannies use bushings not bearings and these ussually hold up very well. More likely the installer either used a cheapo seal or butchered it installing it.

Reply to
Steve T