90 Nissan Maxima Flash Oil Light, Knock, Valve Noise, Oil Pump? HELP!?

I have a 1990 Nissan Maxima, not sure if it's a GXE or a SE, (how do you tell?) It has the standard 3.0 v6 engine, here is my problem/question(s):

I have checked with the manufactures specs about oil changes, which recommended - Changing oil every 3-5000 miles and Filter changes every other oil change. I did do an oil and filter change back in April, (since the odometer counts mileage at random, it's at 170K miles - but bad counting gears or rpm wire only work intermittently, whatever... no worry I change oil by the month, not the miles). I did an oil-only no filter change in May (10-w30) and had been noticing a slight air hiss or popping sound coming from under the car on the drivers side, leading to about middle under the motor. I checked with a couple of friends that work at Goodyear and they said it was normal sounds, but I say if it's normal why did it only start just recently?

My BIG Question is this. I have what sounds like a valve noise coming from about dead center to the rear top side of the top of the motor. Mostly sounds like there isn't enough oil getting up to the parts in the engine. When I first start/spin the motor, it starts up fine. There are about 3-4 different knocking, clicking noises that I hear, and 2 of them go away after about 20-45 seconds of running. The last noise concerns me since it does not go away and gets louder at times. Some of the time it will go away at higher RPMs, but I am not sure I am just loosing the sound because of other higher noise. The OIL LIGHT starts to blink about 20 miles in to a country - non-highway drive. Some times the light will stay on, but I have the oil dead set on Normal-Full. When I first noticed this noise, I checked the engine and it had about 1/2 - 3/4 qt of to much oil, so I drained it and filled it correctly. The oil light some times flickers or is steady at start up and goes out which does not worry me. It's when the oil light come back on in

20-30 minutes that make me think it's a bad oil pump, a sticking valve, or some other thing that I have no clue about.

Also, I am looking for a cheap place to find replacements for my window regulators, high side power steering line, Front Fascia (bumper cover), and pitted windshield (that I may let someone else do).

Any comments, or advice, including comic relief are welcome, please post your reply as soon as possible, I don't want to ruin this engine or it's driving life.

Reply to
matthew

Sounds like normal wear and tear. Is the 3.0 a SOHC? If so you may be hearing hydraulic lifters that no longer hold pressure. And it doesn't matter how much oil you have in the engine as long as it is at a safe level. If you have sufficient main bearing wear, it will kick your oil pressure right in the pants.

Reply to
Meat-->Plow

Window regulators you can get from Courtesy Nissan in Richardson, TX if you mention that you're a member of this message board-- about $70. Yours is a SOHC- they didn't make DOHC engines until 92. Change your oil and filter every seasonal change and you'll be OK. You can use 20W-50 weight oil and it might help your low oil pressure situation, but as MeatPlow said, your bearings and lifters are probably worn enough to not hold good oil pressure. As long as you have enough oil to lubricate, you won't accelerate the wear already present, but it sounds like your engine's days are numbered. If you love the car enough and have the money/talent/time, you can rebuild this engine and it will run another 150 - 200k miles. Not sure if that's the reasonable thing to do, tho, since it's pretty old. You might do better buying something a little newer and/or with less miles. I'm sure there are some 94's out there that have considerable lower miles. My 94 now has 100k and it still runs beautifully!. (My 90 GXE has 135k and it runs great too, but has had alot of work done to it- tranny, exh pipe, alt, ps hose, radiator, timing belt, main seal, axles)

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's
Reply to
Chris H

After the great responses, (btw Thank you) I tried a Oil treatment which was some very thick stuff. The noises did get quieter. What still concerns me is why is the noise that is still there, seem to be random placements of the time? It's the same repeating 4-5 clicks/knocks, but it's not in any form of rhythmic patter to say it's happening because of the engine. Also, on a side note I forgot to mention, After I start the car up for the

1st time each day, pull out of the drive way, and get to the first traffic light, the computer can be heard making some sort of grunting, or almost a grounding/arc-ing noise... where is the computer located? and what can I do to fix that when I find it? Thanks again, all responses welcome.
Reply to
matthew

That may be your shift lock solenoid clicking if the noise is coming from around the gearshift lever. My wife's 94 GXE does that a lot. Doesn't seem to bother anything. But someday, when I can't get it into gear, I'll know to replace either the shift lock solenoid, or shift lock controller- or both, as I've done that on my 90.

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's
Reply to
Chris H

I went by Autozone, and you should have seen the people swarm over to my car when I pulled up. They all said it was a Valve sticking, and recommended RISLONE

similar to Marvel Mystery Oil. This system has a fuel injected, non-carburetor layout- fyi for other 1990 maxima owners that don't know, I didn't remember. Someone there told me if it didn't have the fuel injector system, I could put a little transmission fluid on the valves, if it had a ez access top placed carburetor , but he warned me it would smoke like crazy, while I was doing it. I drained out the Dollar Store's 10w-30 and put in the 20w-50 Coastal, that was recommended, plus I added 1 quart of Rislone as directed. I checked out their site and it's a very good possibility that it will take about / up to

700 miles to see results. So I'll keep you all posted as I find out things.

Reply to
matthew