91 Maxima GXE won't start

Hey all,

I've had the car back together for less than a week and less than 50 miles (changing injectors)and now it won't start. Won't even crank. It acts as if the clutch safety switch isn't depressed so when I finally got it started (thank goodness these things aren't too heavy to push), I got it home and adjusted the clutch safety switch to ensure that it made clean contact. When the key hits the starter position, all the dash lights light up, but engine will not crank. To get it started last time, I turned the key to the start position and wailed the cluctch up and down (thinking safety switch) and eventually got it to start. After I was home, adjusted the switch, it started a few times during my testing, but then when I wanted to leave it wouldn't start again. This time I got out of the car with my foot on the clutch and heard a clicking at the starter. I am assuming that was the solenoid and the actual starter went bad? It clicks once when the key is turned to the start position and once when you release. Is it possible for the solenoid to work and the starter to not? I wiggled the wires, ensured connections were tight. This car has 190k on it so I have no clue how old the starter is. Looks relatively easy to replace also.

TIA,

Derek

Reply to
genius

Sounds to me like your starter has called it quits.

Nirav

96 Max GLE, 125k
Reply to
njmodi

Thanks for the info. I called around and they range from $99 to $249. Amazing what a rebuilt units costs. I was hoping for under $50.

Thanks,

Derek

Reply to
genius