92 maxima ASCD broken

hello

Hoping someone can assist me.

92 maxima GXE, Cruise control wont work. Light on the dash engages and I can hear the relay by the battery click on/off as I turn on/off cruise control (if I put my ear to it and someone else depresses button on dash). I was reading some other posts and started troubleshooting the brake pedal switch (automatic). found the switch and tested for +12 on either wire, both were dead. I believe that at least one of these should have +12 and the other should bounce between 0 and +12 depending on the switch open/closed position - ie: brake pedal depressed or not. If both of these are dead, then I have to believe that the ASCD control unit is being signaled that the brake pedal is depressed and hence cruise control wont engage. Is there another relay or fuse controlling the brake pedal switch ? anyone can guide me on where this is sourced from ? anything else I can check ? I have also tested the sterring wheel switches and they are ok. snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

thanks fs.

Reply to
frsalinas

You probably have a bad ASCD controller (the computer box under the dash board, right side of steering wheel). I fought w/ my system on my 90 GXE for years and never could get it to work using salvage parts. I wasn't willing to pony up $400 for a new part from Nissan that I would hardly use. Then I sold the car which fixed my problem. You could try putting in a salvage controller from eBay or a salvage yard after you do all the testing.

Chris

94 GXE, 06 SE.....whoosh

Reply to
Chris H

If the light engages, the switch should not be the problem. Have you checked the vacuum actuator and the cable itself?

Good luck

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
AS

get under the dash and look at the 2 switches on the brake pedal and or clutch pedal, there are these little plastic buttons that depress the switches, if one of them is missing replace it and recheck. You may find the problem fixed

Reply to
NissTech

fs:

I just bought a 93 Maxima with a broken cruise control.

Am assuming a 92 has similar wiring to the 93.

There are 2 switches operated by the brake pedal, one is a stop lamp switch, the other is the ASCD Cancel switch.

Check the continuity across the ASCD Cancel switch terminals (the one with these 2 colored wires: LT GRN/RED & BLU/ORG).

The switch is normally CLOSED (that is, when the brake pedal is NOT depressed). When you step on the pedal the switch opens.

This switch normally passes 12V to the Cruise Cancel terminal on the ASCD Control Module. When the brake pedal is depressed, this 12V is interrupted and causes the Cruise to disengage (if it was engaged). If the switch is bad (i.e. open all the time), the Cruise will never engage.

If the switch reads open, you can restore system operation by shorting out the terminals on the connector. This basically takes the switch out of the system. This is the problem I had and this fix works.

I believe the switch is used as a fail-safe switch. In other words, it is a backup to the stop lamp switch. Either switch will disengage the system. But if the stop lamp switch failed, it would not disengage the system. Thus, they put in another switch (the ASCD cancel) which, if it failed, it fails open, not closed, and thus disengages the system.

I think Nissan wanted to be sure that when the brake pedal is depressed, the system would disengage because of the absence of voltage, not the presence of voltage.

Anyway, jumpering this switch corrected my problem. I am not going to bother to replace the switch, because there are 4 other ways to disengage the cruise:

1) Put transmission in neutral 2) Hit cancel button (on my steering wheel) 3) Step on the brake pedal (stop lamp switch still works) 4) Turn off Cruise Control using dashboard switch

I can live without a 5th way.

Good Luck

Mark

Reply to