'92 Maxima - door sensor malfunction ...

Hi,

We are going through a cold spell here weatherwise. The doors of the car somedays are shut tightly. Takes a bit of trouble opening them :-)

The doors of my '92 Maxima since this morning has starting lighting up

- indicating that the doors are open - when they are not. Because of the malfunction, the door lights stay turned on. When I hit a bump on the road, the lights go off and when I hit another bump on the road, the lights go on. My 5 year old enjoys it. Reminds him of the blinking lights on the christmas tree. But I am not amused :-) I am afraid the car battery will drain if the lights are turned on when I am parked.

Any idea where these sensors are located? And how, if I have to, can I replace/repair it? Or worst case, turn off the door sensor lights on all doors - what I mean is, is there a fuse that I can remove to deactivate the door open sensor? If so what are the consequences of doing that. Appreciate any help you guys could give me. Thanks.

- SG

Reply to
SG

Open door sensors are basically the interior lighting door switches. The buttons are on the door jamb, I don't recall exactly where. Had a similar problem on my 89 Max, the same generation as yours. Open a door and look for rubber-covered buttons, start pushing, and check the interior lights and dash warning light (with key in ignition and turned on). Wiggle them around and see what happens. They are pretty simple switches, and could get dirty inside. As I recall the rubber boot and switch are removable with a small screw near the switch. You can pull the switch out and inspect it. The switch might be loose in the hole, or the wires could be touching or contacting with debris dirt etc. I am not sure if a good ground is req for proper operation, but it would not hurt to clean the area and the switch and try reinstalling it. Otherwise it is a simple replacement part to replace. Take the old switch with you if you need to buy a new one from parts store or a dealer parts dept. Good luck. Bob

95 SE Auto 89 SE Auto traded

"SG" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
BeeP