93 Max GXE: Replace engine?

93 Max GXE with 190,000 miles. Car is in excellent condition but rear main is leaking oil -- the leak started 24 months ago, tiny drip. Has now progressed to the point where I must add half a quart of oil between changes (every 3,500 miles).

Dealer wants $1,500 - $1,800 to replace main seal.

What if I replace the engine? Surely I could get a rebuilt engine with warranty through the dealer.

I'm concerned that if I drop $1,500 to replace the rear main now in another

50,000 miles I'll need to do a valve and ring job, etc., and drop another $XXXXX -- whereas if I just replace the engine now I'm good for another 150,000 miles or more. And, maybe I could replace it with a later model engine with a timing chain instead of timing belt ?

In the past 18 months I have done the following:

-- replaced ABS pump

-- replaced rotors, calipers, and brake hoses

-- replaced shocks and struts

-- replaced left front axle

I'll probably need to replace master cylinder one of these days.

Car runs fine -- almost as much power was when it was new. Only nagging problem is that the climate control display goes too dim to read and I'm not about to cough up the $800 to fix that.

What are your thoughts on engine replacement? Cost? Experiences?

Thanks.

Reply to
Joe S.

You know how much you have invested in that auto. You should know it's resale value. If you really want to keep it then you have no choice but to fix or replace that leaking engine. Thats really a choice you must make.

Reply to
View from Outer Space

It shouldn't cost $1500 to just replace the rear main seal. All they have to do is drop the tranny to get to the seal. I paid $1500 to have my tranny rebuilt and replace the rear main. If the car's in that good of shape, it might be worth doing the work. But I think you're approaching the point of diminishing returns. It's only wise to have the work done if you're going to keep driving the car long enough that it gives enough service to offset the repair cost. However, as you keep driving it, other things will need replacing. If you still like driving it and it's reliable, then I think you should have the work done. I definitely wouldn't have the dealer do this work as there are plenty of reputable shops that can do this cheaper than a dealer. I don't think trying to replace the engine w/ a post-1995 timing CHAIN engine would be a good use of your time and/or money- just too many things to deal with and you'll still have a 93 Maxima that you'll need to drive long enough to offset the cost of the engine change-out. $$$$!! Personally, I think you should let go of this idea! With all the other repairs you've done, it sounds like your car is fairly well maintained and is giving you good service. A rear main seal replacement will pay itself off in just a few months (4 or 5- your mileage may vary!). My 90 GXE is similar to your's. I estimate it costs me about ~$.09/mile EXCLUDING fuel to operate this vehicle. That's capital investment + repairs-to-date minus resale value divided by 61,000 miles that I've driven. Fuel is about $.10/mile on the average. I think a rear seal should cost around $450 to replace. That's $300 to remove and replace the transmission and the rest is for parts and labor to do the seal, etc. (Forgive me everyone if I'm grossly off on this cost) On the other hand, a 1/2 quart of oil is VERY inexpensive- if you don't mind leaving drippage in your wake.

I say- do the seal job!!

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's
Reply to
Chris H

I have a 93 GXE and the torque converter failed a few months ago. Had it replaced at an independant shop. Cost as follows:

Torque converter $235.00 Labour $500.00

Seems to me you should be able to get the rear seal replaced for around $500 considering the cost of the seal is minimal and the labour costs should be in the same ballpark.

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie