94 auto ac not constant

I have a 94 Maxima that I purchased about a year ago. Here in Texas it is getting into the high 80s now. It seems like when I set the temperature that I want, usually about 78 (in AUTO mode) which is cool in this car. After maybe 5 minutes (maybe less or more) it will start either warming up or getting colder, I then adjust again a degree or 2 one or the way then repeat continuosly.

I am not really sensitive to minute changes in temp but this car changes significantly, also the fan speed to me seems high (3 or 4 (max) speed).

I used to own an 90 240sx with manual AC, I would set wherever and would hardly ever have to touch the temp lever. So I don't think it is me. I'd like to do the same with this car but it seems like it is sensing the inside temp and adjusting itself.

I've been in friend's Infinitis with similar looking AC and it works fine.

chapajunk-safe at Y??H?? dot ...

Reply to
David

Rule out a weak refrigeration system first. Park the car in the shade. Put a thermometer with a temperature probe in the center vent, turn the temp control all the way down, turn on recirculation, keep the fan on low, and let the engine idle. Within 5-10 minutes, the temperature reading should be in the 35-40 degrees F. range, depending on ambient temperature. If it's any higher than that, have the refrigerant pressures checked.

Reply to
James M. Blaschak

I think that's just the auto thermostat changing the air temperature to keep the cabin at a constant temperature. It is annoying when the air is blowing directly on your skin and one minute it is cold and the next it is just cool.

Reply to
DN