94 Max SE, VTC question

The camshaft covers in my 94 SE are sweating oil, just a lil bit. Since the disassembly to replace the rear cover gasket is huge, I am considering doing the VTC Assembly repair. The VTCs just recently began making the infamous noise. The vehicle has 103,000 miles on it.

My questions are:

  1. Once I remove the camshaft chains from the camshaft sprockets, can the chain change its position with respect to the lower idler sprocket? Does the crankshaft chain cover prevent this from happening?

I do not intend to remove the crankshaft chain cover.

  1. With the mileage on the car, having always used Mobil 1 oil and the genuine Nissan filter, do I need to be concerned with wear on the camshaft chain tensioners? What are the chances that I need to replace them? I would like to have all the parts needed before I disable the vehicle.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
TM