94 Maxima Fuel Problem?

Looking for a bit of guidance on what I think is a fuel issue on a 1994 Toyota Maxima. Vehicle is on the side of the street as I type this!

I get spark and engin turn over well, just won't fire. Vehicle is my daughters and I am not versed with all the quarks of this car. She filled up the tank this morning went to work and parked it, now it won't start. I checked for spark...good, distributor..looks good..cleaned it anyway.. When to the gas tank...don't hear the pump kick in on ignition turn on.. Daughter mentions that the security blicky light on the dash is not flashing as it normaly does..

Question..stock alarm systems...does it have a fuel cut off interlock mechanism Is the pump truly in the tank! If so..is there a connector that I can check continuity on bothe the mortor windings and float sender.. I can spot it from under the vehicle.. is it above the tank.....Or am I lucky and the pump is mounted elsewere outside the gas tank

Any insight would be appreciated..

Marc

Reply to
Pogo

Pump in trunk. Accessable by removing back seat - bottom & back. My blinky security light hasn't worked in years so lack of light doesn't necessarily mean a security fuel cut off problem. Can hear pump on initial key turn? Mine can't be heard but removing theh seats may help to hear it.

Reply to
MarioAndretti

As Mario mentioned the pump is in the tank which is accessible from removing the rear seat. To verify that fuel is indeed the issue, have someone start the car while you sniff the exhaust. If the pump was working properly and the car would not start, you would smell gas in the exhaust. If you smell no gas, then there's no gas coming, and its most probably the pump.

CD

Reply to
codifus

Reply to