95 GXE Ignition doesn't "catch" first several attempts

When I insert the key in the ignition and turn the key to the start position, nothing happens. I have to return the key to the off position, sometimes more than once, then turn it to the start position to get it to crank.

What's the problem?

Thanks, Jim G.

Reply to
Jim G

Your problem is a worn ignition switch. It is easy to replace - just need to remove the steering column shroud and the switch is right there. The switch is seperate from the lock cylinder, so it doesn't affect your keys, etc. (thankfully). The part can be bought for ~30 bucks from your friendly local dealer or any one of the many online wholesale parts houses.

Cheers, Nirav

96 Max GLE, 119k
Reply to
njmodi

I had that problem (95 SE 5-spd purchased May 94). Jiggling the key while turning it helped, until I finally got around to having the ignition switch replaced. Fortunately, per details in other reply, it does not involve a key change.

Reply to
David Efflandt