95 Maxima - missfire and check engine light - sometimes blinking/sometimes steady

Looking for a way to find out how to get the error codes for my 95 maxima. Ok, I bought this car about 6 mos ago, and the check engine light was on, but the car ran great. About a month ago, the light went out and stayed out till yesterday. Before it came back on, I had bought gas at a station I do not usually use, but all was fine for about 70 miles. When I left work last night, I let the car warm up about 5mins which I also never do. When I took off, the car was acting like it was missfiring. Just running bad. I drove it 35 miles to the house whithout the light coming on. About an hour later, I was called back to work. Car is still running bad, but about 3 miles down the road, the check engine light started flashing, and flashed all the way to work, another 32 miles. When I left work, it still ran bad and the light continued to flash for maybe 15 miles and then just came on steady. This morning (still running bad) the light was steady for about 5 miles, then flashed for about 10 - 15 miles, then back to steady again. What I am wondering is... is there some way to get the problem identified by the car w/o going to a shop? I have just started this job and am VERY low on funds. Any thoughts on the subject would be a great help. Thanks, jim

Reply to
champ_jim

maxima.org has an faq on getting the codes. THe light flashing means that you could be damaging the catalytic converter by continuing to drive it. You may have a bad ignition coil.

Reply to
JimV

I had similar problem last year on my 95 maxima w/160K. Check out engine codes using maxima.org. But my problem ended up being a malfunctioning fuel injector. About 100-150 for the injector. Labor is expensive. If you are lucky enough to have a bad injector in the front bank (closest to front of car). Install is simple....about 10 minutes. Back bank is very time consuming. A lot of stuff to remove to get to injector. Would be difficult for a novice to work on. Labor for this is quite expensive.

Reply to
THE DOC

First go here

Then Here

There should be a FAQ for this group.....I have posted this like 20 times.... Bitsbucket

Reply to
Bitsbucket

Hey, thanks a whole lot y'all. Just as soon as I can get a spare moment in the light I'm going to check out those codes. Then maybe I'll be back to ask for more advice, huh!? Thanks again... jim

Reply to
champ_jim

Try replacing the pressurized gas cap. Get the correct one - mine said "pre-vented." Made my 92 SE stop all that rough running immediately. See my post from today 9/6/2004 at 12:03 AM. called "Mystery Solved."

The cap cost me $5.99 or so. Easy to try this - it made my Max purr again.

Reply to
NetComputerGuy

This message is for Bitsbucket. I like your reference to the site for the codes . However, when I put in a code at the second site, nothing happens. Have any idea what I could be doing wrong?

Reply to
Ditto