95 maxima stalling + 0103 ECU code

I have a nissan maxima with 115k miles. It shakes and stalls a few minutes after getting started (no matter moving or idling), unless the gas is pushed really hard. After stalling, it would not start for a few minutes and then starts again. The check engine light was on and I found the code to be 01 03 and 03

  1. I knew 03 04 is knock sensor so i replaced it. But the car still stalls. 01 03 is engine coolant temperature sensor but I am wondering if a bad temperature sensor can cause the car to stall.

Also I notice a sound like a liquid moving through pipes on the passenger side when I start the car. Can this be related to coolant temperature sensor?

Reply to
nauman

The knock sensor is a frequent false error code. The temp sensor is not. It probably doesn't know the engine is cold so it doesn't enrich the mixture. I'd change that temp sensor.

Reply to
JimV

If engine problem is (?) only during warmup, points to TPS. (A/T uses TPS all the time.) Clean/Replace; for ref see page

When it doesnt start, disconnect MAF connector. If it now starts, thereis your problem, replace MAF.

When all is ok, NO coolant noises. Youre running low, and risking engine heads hot spots =warp. Why coolant is runnin low...? there is some leaky reason that has to be checked. Dont drive before this is corrected. Fillup & bleed; read the manual for HowTo -bleeding, getting all airbubbles/pockets out.

Reply to
Wiikinki

Check the coolant level first (and fix any leaks, etc.) - but in general a bad ECTS will cause the problems you describe - so definitely replace that sensor - it runs about 30 bucks and takes 10 mins to change (17 or 19mm socket IIRC). You don't need to drain the coolant to change it.

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi